Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK9 v. MK40 <> (?)

Default MK9 v. MK40 <> (?)

I read through pages, searched for info, surprised that I didn't find much information in a specific post about the differences in shooting between the MK40 and MK9.

Can someone tell me about the recoil, handling, 2nd.. shot comparison, any differences between the two guns??

- The only real downside on the 40 I can think of is round count but I've only shot the K40 so I have little for a direct comparison in regards to recoil differences.

- My only frame of reference in a gun this size is the comparison between my Glock 26, that I recently converted to a 27 40 S&W- which is a approx 2 oz. lighter than an MK.

- I carry Underwood Extreme Defense rounds- there's somewhat significant loss between the calibers in muzzle energy (102 fp) see below.

- The recoil of this Underwood round is noticeably lighter because it's a smaller projectile, so the difference between shooting a standard HST 9mm and an Underwood .40 are less dramatic than a typical .40 S&W round.

Info from webs:
    Underwood Extreme Defender- Technical Information:

• Caliber: 40 S&W
    • Bullet Weight: 115 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense
    • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Brass

Ballistics Information:

• Muzzle Velocity:1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 500 ft. lbs.
    • Penetration:17 3/4 inches

Underwood Extreme Defender- Technical Information:

• Caliber: 9mm Luger
    • Bullet Weight: 90 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense
    • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information:

• Muzzle Velocity:1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 392 ft. lbs.
    • Penetration: 15 in.

I've never shot an MK9 but my MK40 is no problem at all. In fact, short barrel or no, it's one of my most accurate pistols, and that includes SIG's, HK's, 1911's, and of course, three other Kahrs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I've never shot an MK9 but my MK40 is no problem at all. In fact, short barrel or no, it's one of my most accurate pistols, and that includes SIG's, HK's, 1911's, and of course, three other Kahrs.

+1
    My only Kahr is a MK40 Elite.
    It's very accurate and soft shooting.

I'm good with my MK9.

I have a K40, if I was able to get an MK I'd go 9. I'm not a 9 guy either. I would like to find an old MK one of these days. I borrow another fella's when I need to make a grip and seems I have it more than he does.

I'm surprised at the soft / easy shooting comments myself.

I had my K40 magnaported and it's still a fire breathing dragon. I'm good with 40's in full size guns but compacts not so much.
    I'm not sure its so much recoil as just muzzle flip, requiring too long to get back on target for a second round.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I owned both an MK40, my first Kahr, and an MK9 and now own neither. I found it impossible to fire the MK40 both fast and accurately, due to its snappy muzzle rise, especially with the shorter magazine. While accurate in slow fire, it did not exactly encourage much practice. My MK9 allowed faster shooting and I recommend it over the MK40. In defensive pistols of that size, for fast shooting, I do not see a benefit of anything snappier than modern standard velocity 9mm defensive ammo. FWIW, my MK9 was somewhat smaller and lighter than my MK40 and felt better in my hand. Still, the MK9 was too heavy and awkward to pocket carry and, so, required a belt holster. I replaced it with a K9 Elite which shoots more accurately and faster, has better balance and carries better in a belt holster. If you can, try both a K9 and an MK9. For pocket carry, I recommend a lighter and narrower pistol like a PM9 or CM9.

That's strange I thought the grip on the MK9 and MK40 were interchangeable. Seems like I made some on my borrowed MK9 and sent them to a guy with a MK40. Maybe my cheese slipped off it's ******* and I'm not remembering right. Ain't that strange we can't say Ritz _______ . PC police enroute.

I'd like to shoot a PM40 once or maybe twice. So much lighter than an MK or a K. Unless the Tupperware soaks up some of the flip it must be a real cannon.

It also could be that I'm getting high mileage and not as immune to recoil as I was in my youth. I used to dig building hot loads for my Ruger Super Blackhawk, have a 30-30 Contender I still enjoy immensely. The 44 hasn't been out for a very long time.
    I guess in my youth recoil was Manly! Hunted deer sometimes with a 375 H&H. Course there was bears around but that was little excuse for such a big rifle.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

We are both right, I think. My MKs were early 2000s "old" versions, but the Kahr website currently shows .40s weighing 1 ounce more than the 9mm versions in the MKs and Ks. Old Kahr product info said the .40 slides had to be more robust and heavier to accommodate the extra power of that round. (The .40 S&Ws were routinely loaded to what would normally be considered +P pressures, which is why they were not marketed as "+P". They are considerably more snappy than standard pressure 9mms and much more comparable to +P 9mms.) Most of the weight difference was in the slides, so the frames would likely be be almost identical, especially in the grip area, by design. This is why you can use the same grips on both .40s and 9mms. Extra .40 slide weight is also found in the polymer pistols as well, with P and PM pistols weighing about 1.9 ounces more in .40 than 9mm. This about double the weight differences of the steel Kahrs.

Years ago, when I was researching SIG P239s, their .40 and 357 SIG versions were an ounce or two heavier than the 9mm versions. Unfortunately, I bought a .40 version and regretted it until I replaced the barrel with a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion unit, but it is still heavier than a P239 born as a 9mm.
    Last edited by finpro; 03-21-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: removed repeated word

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I have a K40, if I was able to get an MK I'd go 9. I'm not a 9 guy either. I would like to find an old MK one of these days. I borrow another fella's when I need to make a grip and seems I have it more than he does.

I'm surprised at the soft / easy shooting comments myself.

I had my K40 magnaported and it's still a fire breathing dragon. I'm good with 40's in full size guns but compacts not so much.
    I'm not sure its so much recoil as just muzzle flip, requiring too long to get back on target for a second round.
    I appreciate your concern, Bawanna. My MK40 is a very small pistol, indeed only my LCP is smaller among my hand guns. However, we know that recoil is more related to weight than size, and for its size, the all steel MK40 is quite heavy. It weighs 6 ozs more than my CW45 or CM45, and about the same as my full size SIG P220 and Kimber Ultra Carry 1911, and those are both 45's. I think the extra weight damps a great deal of the recoil and makes the pistol easier to shoot.

In a defensive situation, you'll probably have to shoot just once with a .40. I don't find the recoil much different than 9mm. With the Kahr triggers, you're not going to be doing double taps any time soon. This crud about not being able to get back on target fast enough is a wheel barrel full of baloney. You'll have plenty of time to get back on target, especially with that trigger.