Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MK9 v. MK40 <> (?)

Meh, I have a fat seatbelt, double layer belt from BlueAlphaGear..so it holds any weight gun. the K40 is the lightest .40 recoil I've felt. Between the K9 and 40, I'd still carry the .40 but maybe 9 in MK, idk.

[QUOTE=finpro;385099]Re: "In a defensive situation, you'll probably have to shoot just once with a .40." That is true, unless you miss or have a poor hit or unless the hit is insufficient for any reason or unless there are more than a single attacker or whatever... Increasingly the modern belief is that a modern defensive 9mm is essentially as effective as a .40. Even in larger, heavier service pistols, police departments find better marksmanship scores with 9mms. You are right that Kahrs are, by design, not super fast shooters, but 9mms can be shot faster than comparable .40s, especially in Kahr-sized pistols. With practice, Kahrs can be shot with reasonably speed, certainly as fast as a revolver. I think for any defensive application, there it an optimal setup for each individual. Regarding the 9mm vs. .40, in smaller, lighter pistols, especially those too small to accommodate a four finger grip, I think this mostly favors a 9mm, as long as quality defensive ammunition is used.[/QUOTE I practice and shoot .40 cal. for that reason. In case more than one shot needs to be fired. I have total confidence in my abilities to make the rounds go where they need to. Someone who doesn't have the confidence in their skills to shoot .40 cal. should leave it alone. I don't "target" practice any more. I shoot to hone defensive skills mostly. Center mass and head shots. Your comments about LE do not surprise me. Most of them don't shoot nearly enough, 3/4's of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and most only practice so they can pass qualification every year. Having the same trigger, I don't see why there would be a difference in the speed of shooting between 9mm and .40. Same trigger, same speed. I don't get in to caliber wars, but a .40 or .45 makes a larger hole than 9mm, just a fact. Also, does a bit more damage to bones, etc. I shoot 9mm out of my MK because intelligence tells me that the firearm is too small for .40. People who own MK 40's would probably disagree. I would think that the K40 would be right up there with others as a damn good gun to shoot .40 out of. I choose to shoot .40 out of the M&P line and the HK line. Both handle the caliber very well. I have never had the opportunity to fire a K40, but would sure like to as a comparison. The reason I mention only firing once, is that the odds say that this is probably all you'll have to fire. Has nothing to do with caliber. I feel certain, that with my practice, whether it be 9mm or .40 cal., on a human torso, I will hit the torso somewhere with EVERY shot, and that's good enough for me. I prefer bigger holes.

K40 is my favorite gun right now.. My poly framed guns are looking around nervously, wondering who's going on GunBroker next. Truth is, probably all of them are, minus the P380. I'm trying to make shelf space for when Kahr announces the all steel KM380 elite next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Monadnock View Post
    I'm trying to make shelf space for when Kahr announces the all steel KM380 elite next month.

That would be sweet.....

Read the police comments on shoots. Never ever assume that a single shot is adequate regardless of caliber. Keep firing regardless of caliber until the threat is disabled.

https://www.policeone.com/police-her...mo-on-the-job/

http://www.policemag.com/channel/pat...8-25-2008.aspx

These were with a .45 ACP and the criminal stayed in action after multiple hit. Same event from two police perspectives. This officer now carries a 9mm with much more ammunition.

Magazine capacity remains a limitation for all Kahrs.

I wasn't shooting 40 Cal at the range anymore and decided I should let them go. I had two Glocks in 40 "27 and35." I bought a mk9 elite and couldn't be happier.

Hello, first time poster here - do not currently own either MK but used to own MK40 and am looking to horse trade it back (the same one). I went to the MK40 from a G27 and felt/perceived recoil with the same loads is far less in the Kahr, with better ergos and much easier to carry. I sold it when my wrists were declining due to osteoarthtitis. Surgery has since fixed that, would like to get back to shooting larger caliber after shooting .380 for a number of years.

Was able to shoot very rapidly and accurately with two hands - put 5 rounds on a silhouette at 4 yards all upper torso before the first brass hit the concrete. One hand shooting is a lot more challenging though - that's when it starts to behave more like a revolver. I never got very used to using my MK40 with slow target fire, but that was all me - it certainly has plenty of potential for accuracy - solid lock up and clean machining that so many firearms lack..

I'd assume the MK9 would be even more of a pussycat.

Honestly when you see how poorly many people control their micro polymer handguns rapid fire (especially one-handed if that is even attempted) I have to wonder when common sense kicks in and they realize they need a heavier gun, smaller caliber, or a lot more range time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Hello, first time poster here - do not currently own either MK but used to own MK40 and am looking to horse trade it back (the same one). I went to the MK40 from a G27 and felt/perceived recoil with the same loads is far less in the Kahr, with better ergos and much easier to carry. .
    When I first bought my MK9, I took it to the range and fired it along with the range's rental Glock G43. I'm a Glock guy, but the MK9 was a much, much better shooter...less punishing, less muzzle flip, and consequently quicker on target. I shoot hot +P loads, too, but could shoot the Kahr all day long.

I have a Glock 27 as my bad neighborhood carry weapon and home defense pistol. It is the most accurate 40 I have ever shot (and I carried a Sig 226 for decades), so I'm intrigued that the MK40 might be even better. Sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    When I first bought my MK9, I took it to the range and fired it along with the range's rental Glock G43. I'm a Glock guy, but the MK9 was a much, much better shooter...less punishing, less muzzle flip, and consequently quicker on target. I shoot hot +P loads, too, but could shoot the Kahr all day long.

I have a Glock 27 as my bad neighborhood carry weapon and home defense pistol. It is the most accurate 40 I have ever shot (and I carried a Sig 226 for decades), so I'm intrigued that the MK40 might be even better. Sigh.....
    I actually traded my G27 for the MK40. G27 had the trigger guard smoothed and a second barrel (Wolf). TheMK40 was used, initially had issues with the slide locking back as the slide stop intruded too far into the chamber area and rounds coming out of the mag sometimes locked it open. I called and was sent a replacement part and in the meantime I filed down the offending bit of steel. After that it ran great, very accurate. Recoil was notably less than the G27 with the same loads and carry overall is night and day.

They are heavy little chunkers but I find it much easier to carry a small heavy gun than a larger lighter one. In reality the MK40 weighs about the same as a Walther PPK.

Cool MK40 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I actually traded my G27 for the MK40. G27 had the trigger guard smoothed and a second barrel (Wolf). TheMK40 was used, initially had issues with the slide locking back as the slide stop intruded too far into the chamber area and rounds coming out of the mag sometimes locked it open. I called and was sent a replacement part and in the meantime I filed down the offending bit of steel. After that it ran great, very accurate. Recoil was notably less than the G27 with the same loads and carry overall is night and day.

They are heavy little chunkers but I find it much easier to carry a small heavy gun than a larger lighter one. In reality the MK40 weighs about the same as a Walther PPK.
    Still have my G27, but never carry it.
    It's mostly reliable, but not enough to carry.
    My MK40 Elite still gets in the rotation when I need absolute concealment.
    Too heavy for pocket carry.
    But totally disappears on a belt.
    Plus I can run the Kahr on my ankle if I want to.

In my hands the Kahr is softer shooting,
    more accurate and most importantly more reliable than my G27.
    I carry it with confidence