CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MK9 v. MK40 <> (?)

Angry Making the dog hunt

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I looked at that one, but found two problems: 1) I couldn't find confirmation that it accepted H&K pistol magazines.
    Bottom line: IMHO, send your Glock back.
    Why should everyone else get to own an engineering marvel when you have to put up with an occasional failure?
    Like I said, let them figure it out.
    Believe my SP5K will only run with MP5 mags.
    It's really a civilian MP5.
    And when I bought OEM mags from Hk they were actually MP5.
    The curved 30 rounders are not cheap and run ~$70 each.

As for the Glock, I'm no armorer, but FTF is usually RSA or mag springs (already changed out).
    Strange thing is it ran fine with OEM 40 Storm Lake 40-9,357,40 up to around 6K on the clock.
    Then occasional FMJ FTF with all barrels?
    The only stinker was the jam o matic OEM G33 357 barrel (with G33 mags)
    That POS FTF nearly every mag from day one (and was my reason for going with Storm Lake).
    Only thing I can think of for FTF is polishing the feed ramp and/or opening the chamber?
    Maybe at 6K it just needs an overhaul/tune up?
    That seems to be what Bawanna is recommending?

I really like the Scottsdale Gun Club gunsmithing service.
    Maybe I should break out the G27 and give it to them for a complete repair/replace everything?
    Go back to bone stock 40 or 357?
    I'll think about it.
    Really hate having a gun I can't trust

Update:
    I've decided to go with;
    1) AlphaWolf Stainless Steel LCI 9mm Extractor,
    White Sound Defense High Reliability Extractor Depressor Plunger Assembly for 9mm
    and a OEM 9mm trigger housing/ejector.
    2) Using my Storm Lake G27 40-9mm stainless steel conversion barrel (it's a tack driver).
    3) Have Scottsdale Gun Club inspect and replace any other worn parts.

Maybe I can make this dog hunt after all
    Thanks for the push guys!

Update 2.0:
    Dropped off gun and parts at the gunsmith.
    Having the Storm Lake barrel throated and polished as well.
    Gunsmith is confident he can make it run right - Woo Hoo!!!

The gun is a TALO EXO exclusive G27 with a nickel boron Fail Zero self lubricating slide.
    The Storm Lake 40-9mm barrel is stainless steel and looks like a Bull Barrel in the gun.
    Gunsmith commented on how nice it looks.
    I'm beginning to believe this story is going to have a happy ending - LOL!
    Last edited by Barth; 09-28-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks for the update! I'm sure this story will have a happy ending. I just hate hearing about guns languishing away in a dark, cold safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Believe my SP5K will only run with MP5 mags.
    It's really a civilian MP5.
    And when I bought OEM mags from Hk they were actually MP5.
    The curved 30 rounders are not cheap and run ~$70 each.

As for the Glock, I'm no armorer, but FTF is usually RSA or mag springs (already changed out).
    Strange thing is it ran fine with OEM 40 Storm Lake 40-9,357,40 up to around 6K on the clock.
    Then occasional FMJ FTF with all barrels?
    The only stinker was the jam o matic OEM G33 357 barrel (with G33 mags)
    That POS FTF nearly every mag from day one (and was my reason for going with Storm Lake).
    Only thing I can think of for FTF is polishing the feed ramp and/or opening the chamber?
    Maybe at 6K it just needs an overhaul/tune up?
    That seems to be what Bawanna is recommending?

I really like the Scottsdale Gun Club gunsmithing service.
    Maybe I should break out the G27 and give it to them for a complete repair/replace everything?
    Go back to bone stock 40 or 357?
    I'll think about it.
    Really hate having a gun I can't trust

Update:
    I've decided to go with;
    1) AlphaWolf Stainless Steel LCI 9mm Extractor,
    White Sound Defense High Reliability Extractor Depressor Plunger Assembly for 9mm
    and a OEM 9mm trigger housing/ejector.
    2) Using my Storm Lake G27 40-9mm stainless steel conversion barrel (it's a tack driver).
    3) Have Scottsdale Gun Club inspect and replace any other worn parts.

Maybe I can make this dog hunt after all
    Thanks for the push guys!

Update 2.0:
    Dropped off gun and parts at the gunsmith.
    Having the Storm Lake barrel throated and polished as well.
    Gunsmith is confident he can make it run right - Woo Hoo!!!

The gun is a TALO EXO exclusive G27 with a nickel boron Fail Zero self lubricating slide.
    The Storm Lake 40-9mm barrel is stainless steel and looks like a Bull Barrel in the gun.
    Gunsmith commented on how nice it looks.
    I'm beginning to believe this story is going to have a happy ending - LOL!

I own, shoot and carry an MK40 with the extended round magazine. I have textured tape on the front grip strap and also around the plastic magazine base. It really changes the handling, grip purchase and stability.

The caliber debate will will seemingly never end, but IMHO, if you can handle the .40 with accuracy then go with it. If it’s too much, then go with the 9mm. After all, hitting the target is most important, but hitting it with more power also gives an advantage. The government initially went to the .40 for some compelling reasons and if you want to watch a great government training video that introduces the .40 S&W, then sit back, grab the popcorn and enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRRLUTmEhRY
    USN ~ Retired

^^^ I watched it...sans popcorn.

P40 here. A full 3 finger grip helps me shoot faster and more accurately. I had a K40 and that was a very easy gun to shoot well for it's size and considering the .40 caliber's snappy reputation. I shoot the P40 just as well but have to admit it stings these aging hands a bit more. So I guess I'm with Flieger and recommend the .40 for those who feel they can shoot it well. If not, as Paul Harrell says, 9mm will do fine with the right bullet. But even the best 9mm falls a little short of most .40SW ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTTDgZZZFa0&app=desktop
    ​O|||||||O

B4,
    Thanks for the YouTube link. It was very comprehensive and well done leaving little ambiguity on the topic.
    Popcorn was ok for this one, but I’d stay away from soda bottles.
    USN ~ Retired

i practice double taps with my MK9 every time i go to the range, it's most definitely an easy skill to learn and to do proficiently! The trigger has nothing to do with it not being able to be done. IMO the Kahr triggers are long and smooth and made for a fast double tap up to a distance of 10 yrds.

And I don't buy the theory/movie stigmatism where one bullet, either .40, .45 or especially 9mm is going to stop an assailant. I guess maybe if you're lucky it might but I'm not taking that chance..double tap that mothers ass and then go from there.

Just my thoughts on this...
    Last edited by 7shot; 05-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7shot View Post
    i practice double taps with my MK9 every time i go to the range, it's most definitely an easy skill to learn and to do proficiently! The trigger has nothing to do with it not being able to be done. IMO the Kahr triggers are long and smooth and made for a fast double tap up to a distance of 10 yrds.

And I don't buy the theory/movie stigmatism where one bullet, either .40, .45 or especially 9mm is going to stop an assailant. I guess maybe if you're lucky it might but I'm not taking that chance..double tap that mothers ass and then go from there.

Just my thoughts on this...
    That makes sense
    I don't expect to stop with just a double tap either
    ​O|||||||O