Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P9 Slide sticks at rear after firing

Default P9 Slide sticks at rear after firing

I just bought brand new Karh P9 that I planned on using as my carry gun. The first 60 rounds through it ran perfectly. The next 300 rounds have been a nightmare. Right after firing the first 60 or so rounds the slide started sticking in the rear most position after firing a round. I can bump the rear of the slide with my hand and the gun will go into battery and will fire the next round. After almost EVERY round after that the slide sticks. I called Kahr and was asked what kind of ammo I was using. I told them it was all factory and NOT +P. I was told to try another brand and clean the gun. I did what they told me with the same results. I took the slide off and inspected it quite well and think I have found the problem. It appears the little ring that is machined on the barrel right in front of the chamber area is being peened by the slide as the slide travels rearward. There is an area both sides of the inside of the slide that have peen marks as well. When the pistol is unloaded and you manually pull back on the slide to where is stops if you give an extra pull you can feel a click as the slide comes back a bit further. At times the slide will stick when manually pulling it back. Has anyone had the same problem? I hate to have to send it in for repair but after running 300 or so rounds through it and still having the problem I am sure it must be returned for service. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bravastar1 View Post
    I just bought brand new Karh P9 that I planned on using as my carry gun. The first 60 rounds through it ran perfectly. The next 300 rounds have been a nightmare. Right after firing the first 60 or so rounds the slide started sticking in the rear most position after firing a round. I can bump the rear of the slide with my hand and the gun will go into battery and will fire the next round. After almost EVERY round after that the slide sticks. I called Kahr and was asked what kind of ammo I was using. I told them it was all factory and NOT +P. I was told to try another brand and clean the gun. I did what they told me with the same results. I took the slide off and inspected it quite well and think I have found the problem. It appears the little ring that is machined on the barrel right in front of the chamber area is being peened by the slide as the slide travels rearward. There is an area both sides of the inside of the slide that have peen marks as well. When the pistol is unloaded and you manually pull back on the slide to where is stops if you give an extra pull you can feel a click as the slide comes back a bit further. At times the slide will stick when manually pulling it back. Has anyone had the same problem? I hate to have to send it in for repair but after running 300 or so rounds through it and still having the problem I am sure it must be returned for service. Any thoughts?
    My CW9 has peening on that ring you described. The matching areas on the slide have some deformity, but look more polished than peened.

However, I've never had the slide stick to the rear.

Sending it back to Kahr may be the wisest move.
    Myself (not the wisest), I'd carefully knock down any burrs and lightly polish the peened areas; then test to see if that fixes it.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, Thanks for the reply and photos. That is exactly what my P9 is doing. I am afraid if I try to polish and repair the gun myself and if still does not run right Kahr would tell me to pound sand for any warranty work. Has your slide ever stuck to the rear like mine has? If so after you did the polish work how many rounds have been put through it and does it run perfectly?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,
    I've never had the slide stick back on my CW9. I bought it used, so I've no idea how many rounds it actually has thru it, but I'd say near 1500 by me and I've not had a stoppage with it.

I understand your reluctance to work on the pistol yourself in regards to warranty.

Based on my CW9, I believe that this is an area where the peening could stop after it reaches a certain degree, possibly at a point where it does not interfere with the slide's operation (as with my CW9).
    With that in mind, I would like to ask if have you tried putting grease on those areas?
    Also, you might be able to do some unobtrusive polishing (maybe knock down/ smooth any burrs) by just working the barrel in the slide by hand:

FWIW, I can't remember anyone else reporting an issue like this with a P9 or CW9, but there was a long thread some years back about some folks that had the issue with their CM9s. According to them Kahr's fix was to grind on that ring: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ng-back/page17

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Well, that's an interesting problem and you certainly "nailed" the source of the problem. I don't have that problem with my P9 but from your pictures, I would think removing the excess metal from around those two gouges to where the barrel ring would be smooth again would solve the problem. I doubt the slide would have enough barrel metal left to "bash" to raise another two gouges in the barrel ring. Realizing the poster has a new pistol, I would do as he is planning to do which is send the pistol back to Kahr to be fixed under warranty. Good job in your diagnosis!
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

I contacted Kahr and sent them pictures of the problem area. Now I have to wait 3-4 days for them to respond. With a problem like this I would think they would want to get on top of this right away. I hope they send me a Pre-paid shipping label and not take 3-4 weeks to repair or replace my gun. I know I am dealing with apples and oranges but I contacted Wilson Combat about a problem I have with one of their 1911's that is six years old. The next day I had a UPS shipping label in my email inbox. They are taking care of my problem at no charge including the shipping. Customer service builds a company no matter if it is a $600 gun or a $4000 gun. Take care of the customer quickly and have a customer for life. Treat them like crap and hope someone else takes the place of the customer you pissed off.

I had to send a CW45 back to Kahr for a frame issue. They provided a shipping label and I had it back in little more than a week. I don't see where anyone else has asked this so I'll ask, the slide stop isn't moving up just a tad and stopping the slide from returning foward is it?

That said you purchased a premium "P" series and I believe they will take care of for you. Hang in there and they'll fix you up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Kahr generally emails you the shipping label. If they don't respond this morning I'd send them another email to make sure they received it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Not the slide stop. I have a video showing the stuck slide shown on my next post.
    Last edited by bravastar1; 03-24-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Here is what it is doing.

I got my FedEx label yesterday from Kahr. I will send it back on Monday and start the four week wait.