Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for a Bobtailed Commander Kahr 45 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Try the bobtail before you buy. I have a Ed Brown Kobra Carry and the bobtail looks great but when I put it in the hands of die hard 1911 owners, at lease half of them actually prefer the straight grip. I go either way (no comments please) but the straight grip seems to offer more control on followup shots when put in the hands of people that really know how to shoot quickly and accurately. Not being in that aforementioned select group I do find the bobtail tends to allow the gun's muzzle to roll upwards as opposed to staying on target. Something to do with the heel of my shooting hand I suspect.
    My 2¢
    I can see how that can happen with a bob-tailed grip in theory. I haven't noticed it myself, though. I have both straight-gripped 1911's and the bob-tailed S&W 1911 SC-e pictured below, which is one of my favorite carry guns in my fleet. That being said, I don't do much rapid fire, so I never really noticed a difference, but now that the issue has been raised, I'm going to be looking for it the next time I shoot them side-by-side....

Dan Wesson 1911 Valkyrie Commander
    Kahr K9 Elite 03, CW45, CW9
    Glock 19 Gen4 and Gen5
    Sig P225-A1, P320C 9mm, SP2022 9mm
    S&W 1911 SC-e scandiium frame
    S&W 686 Plus 3" .357 Magnum Talo Edition Revolver
    S&W M&P Shield 9 Performance Center, Shield .45, 9mm Compact 2.0
    S&W M&P 40 FS (Detroit PD)
    S&W SW22 Victory
    RIA 1911 22TCM/9mm FS Ultra, 1911 .45 FS Tactical
    CZ 75D Compact PCR 9mm

shlike

The smith is my favorite carry now also. So much lighter than the other 1911's.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

My son has one, lives in it's factory box instead of in my holster where it should be. Damn kids!

It's not quite as pleasant to shoot as my steel guns but it sure is light and nice to carry. Have to assume so anyhow, he don't let me carry it. Damn kids!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Be careful what you wish for. I have a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail and a normally configured Commander. Both are stainless steel .45s with full checkering. The Bobtail conceals slightly better, but is slower to deliver subsequent shots quickly, because it has less shooting hand contact area as the grip curves away from the hand. The speed difference would likely be greater in lighter weight pistols. It would likely be less significant in 9mm chambering. If concealment is a concern, pistol is likely for defensive use and it is more important to be able to fire quickly. Anyone considering a bobtail 1911 should shoot it and compare it to a straight backstrap pistol. Rather than focus on the better concealment of a bobtailed grip, I think more focus should be on the holster and mode of carry.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I have a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail and a normally configured Commander. Both are stainless steel .45s with full checkering. The Bobtail conceals slightly better, but is slower to deliver subsequent shots quickly, because it has less shooting hand contact area as the grip curves away from the hand. The speed difference would likely be greater in lighter weight pistols. It would likely be less significant in 9mm chambering. If concealment is a concern, pistol is likely for defensive use and it is more important to be able to fire quickly. Anyone considering a bobtail 1911 should shoot it and compare it to a straight backstrap pistol. Rather than focus on the better concealment of a bobtailed grip, I think more focus should be on the holster and mode of carry.
    With all due respect.
    I shoot Bobtails All Aces
    We are all not the same...

IMHO focus should always be on what YOU shoot the best