Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April Foolishness

A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW. "Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined.
    "You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

May be our solar system is just an atom in someone else's world. We could be an atom on a baseball about to get hit by a giant bat. Hmmmmmmmmmm The oak would be on us. Oh yea, they use ash to make bats.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I have a friend who owns the same telescope that was used to first discover the Hale Bopp comet. With the correct lens, it goes INTO the moons craters easily. Spent many a night looking through it at the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, some nebulas on the right night, a few galaxies on the right night, the Pleiades', some fading burning out stars, etc. I have seen many things over the years, but I think that there's nothing better than to see Saturn, tipped on it's side at about 45 degrees, crystal clear, with the different shades of rings. As perspective, looking through the eye piece of my friends scope, at the right time of year, Saturn is about the size of a nickel. Fills a third of eye space. It looks amazing........................sometimes people spend too much time looking down, or looking ahead, and never take the time to look up................................................ ......
    I became very interested in astronomy after Sputnik went up in '57. Bought a decent Japanese made Goto telescope and later a Unitron equatorial refractor (which my son now owns). Spent many hours gazing at the sky up until marriage 50 years ago, but still remember some of the beautiful "live" sights. With my old eyes now, I have to rely on the various folio books & online websites to see the wonderful things the Hubble space telescope has revealed.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    May be our solar system is just an atom in someone else's world. We could be an atom on a baseball about to get hit by a giant bat. Hmmmmmmmmmm The oak would be on us. Oh yea, they use ash to make bats.
    There is no need to ponder deeply about the wonders of the universe if, like me, you have read Douglas Adam's "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy" series of books. The meaning of life is also fully explained.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Something I have always wonder but have never heard of being addressed when it comes to star gazing. All of these stars and galaxies are millions of light years away, right? That means that the lights we see is millions of years old, right? So how can anyone say that these stars and galaxies even exist today??? We are really look at the past rather than the present, right? Aside from our own solar system, do we really know if anything out there is really out there? Our solar system may be the only thing that exists from the Big Bang and our sun is dying.

Not much of a joke but something to make one say, "Hmmmmmmm?"
    You are correct about what we see when looking in to the telescope. Things change very slowly in our universe. We are looking in to our past. Not much will look different in our life time. I get a kick out of people who look at Hubble pics and are amazed at the colors. Those colors are added with filters, not much color in space. They have discovered other solar systems. One of the newest theories is that there could possibly be more planets than stars. There are billions of stars(guesstamit). They are finding new planets and systems every day. They are also finding that in our solar system, there are a lot more planets like ours than originally thought.

Maybe in our "stellar system," or galaxy.

Want to feel "small"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%...n_the_Universe
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Wanna go swimming at this Houston condo building?

-Rudyard Kipling

Not me. Recently watched the Mechanic 2. Guy was swimming in one of those and the Mechanic got underneath and planted something that caused the bottom of the pool to collapse. The guy took a very long swan dive to the pavement. Made a pretty big splash of the wrong kind if you get my drift. Btw was a pretty good movie with Jason Stratham.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Something I have always wonder but have never heard of being addressed when it comes to star gazing. All of these stars and galaxies are millions of light years away, right? That means that the lights we see is millions of years old, right? So how can anyone say that these stars and galaxies even exist today??? We are really look at the past rather than the present, right? Aside from our own solar system, do we really know if anything out there is really out there? Our solar system may be the only thing that exists from the Big Bang and our sun is dying.

Not much of a joke but something to make one say, "Hmmmmmmm?"
    Some of the things we see that are billions of light years away are probably already burned out and gone, but the ones that are only thousands of light years away are probably still around. Somehow scientists can tell how old stars are by their brightness etc., and being they last billions of years high likely hood still around.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by GROTMAN View Post
    Not me. Recently watched the Mechanic 2. Guy was swimming in one of those and the Mechanic got underneath and planted something that caused the bottom of the pool to collapse. The guy took a very long swan dive to the pavement. Made a pretty big splash of the wrong kind if you get my drift. Btw was a pretty good movie with Jason Stratham.
    I recently saw the same movie and was thinking the exact same thing!