Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Just pulled the trigger and happy as can be

Default Just pulled the trigger and happy as can be

I finally purchased the CW380, to be a companion to my PM9. I was so freaked out reading this forum, with so many problems reported. But it made so much sense to have the 380/9mm combo, since they are virtually identical.

From the beginning, no problems. I was warned what ammo to stay away from, which was a MAJOR help. I have been using Blazer fmj flawlessly. As far as accuracy, I can paint the center red of the target (2" diameter) - and I am NOT an expert by any means. I love the sites, so smooth I could fire away all day.

I would recommend the Kahr CW380 as long as the buyer understands what's required for a great shooting experience. Does anyone need a Kel-Tec P32? Nah, I'll leave it in the center console. EDC 380 for hot days, 9mm for cold days.

Now for defensive ammo. I need to purchase Precision One to make sure it cycles through as flawlessly as the Blazer. I would love to try the Fiocchi Extrema, but Fiocchi was on the DON'T BUY forum. Not to diss Fiocchi, I do use that ammo for target practice with my 9mm - no problems.

I used Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics JHP with great success in my CW380 for about half of it's break in. Worked fine for me. That ammo is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the Extrema (for practice purposes). It has regular brass casings instead of the nickle ones on the Extrema, but is loaded to the same performance level. The bullets look identical to the XTP's in the Extrema as well.

Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you're well on your way to joining so many of us that just love our CW380's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I used Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics JHP with great success in my CW380 for about half of it's break in. Worked fine for me. That ammo is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the Extrema (for practice purposes). It has regular brass casings instead of the nickle ones on the Extrema, but is loaded to the same performance level. The bullets look identical to the XTP's in the Extrema as well.

Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you're well on your way to joining so many of us that just love our CW380's.
    Thanks Ed.

I think I will stick with Blazer for target practice. I MIGHT try a box of Extrema to see if it cycles through. Though Precision One was rated the highest for short barrel 380s. FYI - Shooting Dynamics FMJ 95gr is .23 center per round. JHP is .30/rd, still dirt cheap. Extrema - $13.69/25 rounds. Precision One hp/xtp $28.99/50 rounds. Blazer - .22.5/round

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markallen View Post
    Does anyone need a Kel-Tec P32? Nah, I'll leave it in the center console.
    Hey, don't knock the P-32. I have one and it's even lighter than the Kahr; in fact I believe it's the lightest semi-auto pistol out there. I've continued to use mine on occasion, especially during the period when my Kahr was having serious issues. 7+1 of .32ACP ain't bad, and it isn't much less than 6+1 of .380ACP. It's useful during the hot summer months when I'm wearing thin shorts and need the absolute lightest gun I can go with.

Quote Originally Posted by markallen View Post
    Precision One was rated the highest for short barrel 380s.
    Not quite the highest - you missed one (or two). I use Underwood Xtreme Defender 65gr +P as my carry rounds. A little less penetration than the Xtreme Penetrator, but a bigger wound cavity.

It's rated as 1400 fps, and 283 ft lbs of energy. That's nasty for a little 380. Really expensive, but if it feeds ok in your weapon, you don't need a whole lot. It's worked flawlessly in my CW380. Better have a good grip when you let this stuff fly. Lehigh Defense is the maker of this bullet, and they're just minutes from my house. They HIGHLY recommend Underwood ammo - best quality components money can buy in ammo...

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/380-a...reme-defender/

Ed, This is straight from Lehigh Defense site. Please read below...

Note: Due to the design of the feed-ramp of the Kahr p380 and cw380 we would not recommend the use of our XP ammuntion with these handguns. Some users have reported intermittent feed problems with the p238 as well.

For Kahr owners we would like to suggest our 380 Controlled Fracturing Ammunition. The 380 CF's were tested in a p380 and they are reliable.

PRODUCT DISCLAIMER
    Due to the unique design of our XP bullets we advise all customers to purchase one box of ammunition to confirm the ammo will cycle in your handgun.
    We have tested the ammo in several of the top selling 380’s and our findings have been recorded on several videos located on our YouTube Channel and documented on our website. However, all handguns produced do have minor differences and these differences may or may not affect the performance of your handgun with our 380 XP Ammo.
    The 380 Auto handguns listed below cycled our ammunition without failure:

• GLOCK 42 – SECOND GENERATION
    • SIG 232
    • SMITH AND WESSON BODY GUARD
    • KELTEC
    • RUGER LCP
    • AMT 380

Well aware of that recommendation, as I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.

The ammo I use has the XD, not the XP bullets. The XD bullet shape has proven to be more reliable in Kahr pistols than the XP.

From the Underwood link I provided above:

The .380 Xtreme series went through a design change in the summer of 2015 to provide consistent feeding and compatibility in all .380 handguns. However, a small amount of customers are experiencing feeding problems in Kahr .380s and Sig P238s. Take into consideration, most customers with the same handguns are running the Xtreme series just fine.
    If you are a Kahr or Sig P238 owner, we would highly recommend purchasing a small amount to function test before a larger purchase is made.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Hey, don't knock the P-32. I have one and it's even lighter than the Kahr; in fact I believe it's the lightest semi-auto pistol out there. I've continued to use mine on occasion, especially during the period when my Kahr was having serious issues. 7+1 of .32ACP ain't bad, and it isn't much less than 6+1 of .380ACP. It's useful during the hot summer months when I'm wearing thin shorts and need the absolute lightest gun I can go with.
    Same here. My gen 1 P32 runs Underwood Xtreme Cavitator (1100fps)just fine, too. It'll leave a mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding the Lehigh Xtreme series, I believe that even the shape of the Penetrator was redesigned. See the pic below - on the left is an older box of Penetrator, in the middle is a newer box of Penetrator and on the right is Defense.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Just one more data point: I use both Lehigh and Underwood +p Xtreme Defense in my P380, my PM9 and my MK9. It works flawlessly in all three pistols. Not a single issue. No question that it's among the best self-defense rounds available.