Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving well enough alone

Question Leaving well enough alone

So I recently posted in the Jeeps Rule thread that I finally bought a Wrangler. And I immediatley started adding/changing things to it/on it. I got a box of brand new springs and shocks and tires to prove it.

I'm the same with guns: swapping out sights, grips, etc. with almost every one I own. And I got boxes of spare parts to prove it.

Heck I've beem living in this house close to 20 years and have been fixing/adding/remodeling since day one. And I got a garage full of well-used tools to prove that too.

So am I normal or just crazy? Your input is appreciated. Customizing is part of the fun right? Or am I better off leaving well enough alone like my PM9 that is perfect just the way I bought it?

Thanks
    ​O|||||||O

Define normal?

Nothing wrong with making something better. Sometimes it's necessary in promoting my # 1 thing which is looking cool.

Sometimes I do see people go beyond whatever the imaginary line is and do things that I think are a waste.

But your guns, your house and your jeep is yours. If you feel the need to do something to it, then it's ok or maybe possibly even normal.

Get back to me on that definition of normal. I'm hoping for a positive answer so I can fit in.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Cool is good. I like looking cool. That's gotta be normal, right?
    ​O|||||||O

I think Bawanna has it nailed - or at least I HOPE so.

Looking in my safes (a clue), there's not one gun in them that is completely stock. Most can be returned to original condition though.

Maybe one day I'll accumulate enough extra "stuff" to build a Franken-gun. That would be interesting. I say, if it makes you happy, go for it...

Note to the budget minded: guns are way less expensive to customize vs, jeeps and houses. Stick with guns.
    ​O|||||||O

Franken-gun. That would be cool...
    ​O|||||||O

I was like you. Not so much now. After modding things to the point that they didn't function as well in many aspects of their intended use as they did new, I decided to take a hard look at what drives me to this behavior. I wont bore you with the psycho babble( hint : its about control), but hit you in the wallet why it isn't such a good idea. Usually when you look at the $ to mod things and the return in investment, it just isn't there. Furthermore, things are made to appeal to a bigger audience of customers. When you mod, you usually will have a more select pool of potential buyers should you sell in the future. Also, as said earlier, the modding of things usually comes at a sacrifice to other functional aspects of the product. With that said, if it floats your boat --keep on keeping on. However, I finally had to say enough is enough and thwart that desire to "improve" everything I buy.
    Take the jeep.....yep the tires, shock and springs usually come at a compromise. Perhaps in ride quality or road noise on the freeway or tire wear or turning radius or ????? Then when if you sell, the shocks might not be the latest or greatest or not the springs that a potential buyer would want. If you keep a tally of what the jeep cost, the money put into customizing and the price you get at resale, you will usually lose money big time. My 2 centavos from a guy that modded the snot out of most the crap I bought and had to store everything that was changed until I looked like one of those people on the show Hoarders (Hyperbole intended).
    I am the Living Man

^^^ That advice just makes too much sense for me to follow. Yep, it was the Jeep that got me thinking tho. I was searching online for new bumpers and realized that none of them really worked any better for the "Suburbicon" that is what I'll actually be using the Jeep for (vs. the stock bumpers). They have their place in the hard rock off road world and there's certainly a Bawanna type of cool to them. I'm gonna be happy just to compromise. For now I'll endeavor to keep it simple and mitigate some of the money pit. Is that what older and wiser means?
    ​O|||||||O

yep that's what it mean. I'm proud of you!
    I am the Living Man

sorry B4...I got a little heavy there. Where is my glass scotch?
    I am the Living Man