Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving well enough alone

Another key phrase shared above was the ability to return to stock condition. I'm rather OCD when it comes to that. Any gun I buy that comes with box and papers, I keep the box and papers, even if card board. The boxes of course take up more space than the guns. But some potential buyer live for that goofy box.

I've regretted selling most every gun I ever sold so I try to avoid that now days. Course now days I usually don't get a new gun unless I part with something else. I'd like to trade my van for a few guns but the wife thinks I still need to work and go places.
    No imagination I guess.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thumbs up

^^^^ unless the gun store is within wheel-chair rolling distance... You might be onto sumpin.
    ​O|||||||O

Boy, you guys get into some cool subjects! That's what makes this forum the best. I'm not so much a modifier, really like to fix broken things. It's surprising how many cheap, broken things are available that, when repaired, increase dramatically in value. That's my weakness, Bill's home for broken machines. My son is even worse, rehab projects everywhere. Man's desire to make it better.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

^^^ "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? hmmmmm.
    ​O|||||||O

deleted .....
    Last edited by hardluk1; 04-07-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: cause I can !

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

You've seen my picture post of the 1989 XJ with the 331.K miles - it and I went through the cool stage, but now in my mid 50's I find function first - looks last - if it works for my intent and does not need to be modified I no longer do it for looking cool sake.
    When I wanted a "junk pickup" for dump runs I started looking at 4x4 trucks, and after thinking about it for a week - I can not tell you the last time I NEEDED to lock in with any 4x4 I've ever owned.

I hardly ever go 4 wheeling but bought 4x4 because of the cool factor, I then found that a 1x4 pick up has a far larger load carrying capacity and mechanically simpler than a 4x4...

Sights - stock - I see them the gun aligns to them I pull a trigger and the hole happens where they are pointed.

I just find if it works and does not need extra stuff, I no longer throw money at something to make it do something it is already ding well for me already.
    I have more money in the bank now and like that more.

High Lift for those deep mud holes.....

"Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

The first modification I did was to sand down the stock on my Savage 20 Ga. It was too shiny and glistened in the sun. Made it harder to hunt. I was about 12. Since then, I've only done 2 trigger jobs, and a couple cosmetic changes, and one sight change in 40+ years of owning guns. I believe in not purchasing a firearm unless it's set up like I want. I won't buy a firearm and spend all sorts of money on them. Grips, yes, everything else no. I see people purchase $400 firearms, then change the sights, grips, trigger, and before you know it, it cost them $800 for a gun that's still worth $400, cause the next guy really doesn't care what you spent, if it comes time to sell it. It's still a $400 firearm to him, maybe less, cause it's used. I think it's kind of a waste of denaro. Why not just purchase a firearm suited to your needs??? But, that's what's so great about this country. If you have the cash, and you want to change something, go for it. Many people can't leave things alone. They like to change, tinker, what ever you want to call it. The most important thing is, does it make them happy? That's all that matters in this big world. I'll be the first to give someone crap about changing things on a firearm, if not really needed. It's your stuff. You worked hard to get it. Do with it what you will. I always try to fix things myself, but I also know my limitations, and will be the first to admit when I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Like everyone else, I have a few choice firearms that I wish I could call back, but they're only material things after all.

When your priorities start with anything but looking cool as number one, it's time to nail the lid shut.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've never been (and probably never will be) an ardent of "leaving well enough alone". However, I have grudgingly, somewhat, sometimes, accepted that "leave that alone, you'll just make it worse" is a good course of action.

I do try to follow Bawanna's path of cool

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>