CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mag carry

Default Mag carry

For those that carry a PM9 or CM9 in an IWB holster, how many spare mags do you carry and how do you carry them? IWB? Loose in a pocket? (Which pocket?) In a pocket holster?

I live in Phoenix. From Mid June to the end of August 'Normal' is 103. For the last two months, almost every day has been 105 to 110 and quite a few days were 113 to 118. 'Winter' is officially considered to be when the overnight low goes below 60. LOL Looking at all record temperatures, it can be 70 degrees or higher any day of the year.

Ok, so I got on a bit of a rant, sorry.

What I am trying to say is the for 3 to 4 months in the Summer, dressing to best carry is a difficult objective. Dressing to endure the heat is a very high priority. That being said, cotton pants (Dockers) and jeans that are heavy and would tend to be better for holding their shape and thus holding magazines in a stable, secure position and being thick enough to avoid printing, are not the best choice for enduring the heat. Lighter fabrics such as linen and silk, especially shorts, are more comfortable but are more flexible and thus would allow a mag loose in a pocket to flop around and to print although I'm not sure that a mag printing is that much of a problem, wear caused by the sharp edges might be.

The upside is that Hawaiian/Camp shirts are great and cover even my 4" 686 without printing, unless I bend over the wrong way.

I'm new to carrying concealed so I would appreciate your experience with carrying mags.

Winter (it is actually only a concept here, never actually happens LOL), from Late September into May, jeans are reasonable so everyday is less of a problem but dress slacks are.

Thanks!

I'm left handed. In my front left pocket goes either my CM9 or P380. (Or every so often the CM9 will ride IWB at about 7:30. Spare mag if only one goes in this great little pocket mag holster from Elite tactical. It's similar to the DeSantis Nemesis or Remora type material. I keep that in my right front pocket along with my super slim wallet and separate money clip (I keep them separate so if mugged I have the option to just give them the money or use it as a distraction to get to my gun.) I also clip my knife to my right weak hand pocket. Don't have huge pockets, but this works well for me. Cell phone goes in back pocket. Small streamlight protac 1L in pouch on belt. This set up leaves only the flashlight on the belt, and I can go about my business in a tucked in shirt with no one the wiser. If I want to carry a second spare mag there's a number of inexpensive own mag holsters on eBay that look like multitool pouches and no one's ever noticed with that when they've seen the pouch. Depending on where I am, sometimes I'll do both pocket and belt spare mags as it gives me more options in a SHTF scenario. Hope this is helpful!

I carry IWB, even when wearing shorts during the Colorado summers. My spare magazine is in my left rear pocket, or my left side cargo pocket. (I'm right handed) It isn't noticeable, and I tend to keep a handkerchief in that pocket with the mag to keep it oriented up and down.

I either carry a pair of 7rounders in a Beardog dual mag pouch (back left pocket) or a single 7 rounder loose (front left pocket). If you carry loose, be sure to test your mag to assure the top round stays put. A LakelineLLC follower is good for that.

I gotta admit I'm digging carrying this PM9 IWB in a Dean dual snap holster. It's very light and comfortable. The temp is record hot here too. IWB makes better sense to me with thin clothing because it takes advantage of your good belt to keep the gun secure and comfortable (vs. pocket carry). JMHO.
    ​O|||||||O

Please send me the 4" 686. I'd like to experiment with carry options for that exact model.

I'll of course provide you with semi annual reports until I get it all perfected.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

^^^ yeah. I suspect that will take a long time...
    ​O|||||||O

Well I want to be thorough and precise right?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I feel for you, Bawanna! So many wants, so little money.....
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I carry the 686 in a Galco Silhouette, SIL127. It is a high ride and pulls nicely into my kidney area. At 2 lbs 12 oz empty it is bit heavy though. LOL

It has a highly figured Goncalo Alves finger grip handle. I get offers to buy it all the time.

Please send me your address Bawanna and I will get it to you right away.

b4uqzme, would you please send me a link to the Beardog dual mag pouch and the Dean dual snap holster. I don't seem to be able to find them. Thanks!
    Last edited by SteveOak; 08-05-2016 at 07:37 AM.

This is one way I carry my spare rounds with a S&W. They are 357 Magnum.
    Attached Images Attached Images