Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Slide stop and Crimson Trace

Default Slide stop and Crimson Trace

The light from the laser grip hits the end of the slide stop on my '96 K9. It's fully usable as is, but creates a shining red light on the side of the pistol when in use. Is it OK to grind and polish the end of the slide stop flush to the side of the frame or if the answer is "no", can just enough be ground away to clear the laser? Any downsides known?

Many people grind that pin down, some even recess it so they need a punch to remove it.

Won't hurt a thing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Flush is good. I don't think I'd go beyond that. I'd want to make sure it stays secure during firing. Plastic frames can flex?
    ​O|||||||O

Flush or a bit more is good insurance but the retention is on the other side so as long as the funny little spring doesn't let you down, it ain't going anywhere.

I personally used the exposed part of the pin as a place to put my trigger finger. Too many years running nail guns, I need a reminder to keep the shooter finger off the trigger until the face presents itself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

In my humble opinion, based on using a CT laser on my K9, the glow from the pin is a non-problem as you can't see it when the gun is presented to aim. Besides that there will still be a lit "glow' due to the slide and your finger proximity to the laser. However, to eliminate the pin catching some light it appears you'd have to grind the pin down flush with the slide. It looks like you'd still have about 1/8" of pin left before the spring slot. I can't imagine the pin would fail even if cut flush. I wouldn't go any further though.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Flush or a bit more is good insurance but the retention is on the other side so as long as the funny little spring doesn't let you down, it ain't going anywhere...
    but you need both sides of the frame to keep the pin aligned? But we're talking a metal frame anyways. So just as long as it sets in that right side hole securely, OP will be fine. Thanks.
    ​O|||||||O

Default Thought so

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Many people grind that pin down, some even recess it so they need a punch to remove it.

Won't hurt a thing.
    Thanks Bwanna, as my eyes age I decided to dig out the CT grips I modded for my flat K9, just wanted to be sure to ask other members before I grind and polish a part that Kahr no longer produces. BTW I've read about transfer bar springs and slide stop upgrades to flat K9's. I have untold rounds through mine with no failures. Carried as a LE back up from 1996 to retirement, carried much-shot much.