Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Early Slide Lock--Any Suggestions

Default PM9 Early Slide Lock--Any Suggestions

Just got back from the range with my fairly new PM9 (this was only my fourth range trip...about 250 rounds through it before today).

After having been problem free after the first 150 rounds of break-in, I started to see the slide lock back while I still had rounds in the magazine. It was intermittent, perhaps one or two rounds ever few magazines, but enough to be worrisome.

Examination reveals nothing different about the pistol. Fairly sure it's not user error, though...I have pretty small hands, and don't come anywhere near the slide lock with my grip.

Any suggestions for fixes??

shoot with one hand, the strong hand (if you haven't already), and see how it goes. If you do not have any problems, then it is likely user error. I hate when that happens!
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    shoot with one hand, the strong hand (if you haven't already), and see how it goes. If you do not have any problems, then it is likely user error. I hate when that happens!
    Should've mentioned that, at the end of the session, I tried that. Still had a lock back. I figured that wasn't the issue, since before the one-handed shooting I paid careful attention to my finger/thumb placement, and I am nowhere near the slide lock.

Need to check the little spring. See if it's loose or out of position. There's a thread here that describes that in detail.

Assuming it's the same magazine, might check the follower over closely.

Very doubtful since it's ran so well but to be safe I'd check the mag spring orientation. If it's backwards it might still work but balk now and then, again since it's ran, that's most likely not the culprit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Need to check the little spring. See if it's loose or out of position. There's a thread here that describes that in detail.

Very doubtful since it's ran so well but to be safe I'd check the mag spring orientation. If it's backwards it might still work but balk now and then, again since it's ran, that's most likely not the culprit.

Thanks...I think I was able to find the thread you mentioned. It would appear that my spring is positioned correctly. And I'm not sure how tight that spring is supposed to be, but it moves freely but with some effort required.

I did notice (with the slide off), that if a round is not properly seated in the magazine, it makes significant contact with the slide stop, enough to move it up a bit.

I saw in some threads that people have shaved a bit off the face that would make contact with the round...is that something fairly common? I had to do that with a Taurus that I owned, and it worked like a charm. Hate to mess up a beautiful Pm9, however!

I'd also heard some mention that Gold Dots can be particularly troublesome in this regard because they flare a bit more than some other rounds. IS there any kind of consensus around here on which defense rounds seem the least troublesome for these pistols?

That's probably it exactly. Several have had to remove a tiny bit to make a little clearance for certain bullets. I'm sure that's the culprit.
    Not sure what I was thinking, your post was written clearly and completely in the English language but I for some reason was stuck on failure to lock on empty.
    Maybe I need to increase my coffee consumption. Half a gallon a day just isn't enough.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's probably it exactly. Several have had to remove a tiny bit to make a little clearance for certain bullets. I'm sure that's the culprit.
    Not sure what I was thinking, your post was written clearly and completely in the English language but I for some reason was stuck on failure to lock on empty.
    Maybe I need to increase my coffee consumption. Half a gallon a day just isn't enough.
    Ha! That makes two of us. I may need to resort to an IV drip of the stuff.

While the OP's issue may be with the slide stop's clearance, I think you were correct to mention the spring. My CW45 would lock back prematurely and tightening up the screw that holds the spring in place solved that:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1612-CW45-%28and-other-poly-45%29-issues-and-fixes&p=15672#post15672

Here's how I tighten that screw YMMV:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post

Here's how I tighten that screw YMMV:
    Very helpful. Thanks, Greg.