CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TP45 perfection!

Default TP45 perfection!

Well. I Purchased my 5th Kahr a TP45 and put the first 330 rounds through it with zero malfunction, just as I assumed. I have 2 PM45's and regard them as the best small 45 acp made. More than 16,000 between the two of them. The TP45 is a fantastic shooter. That extra inch of barrel makes it feel a lot different than the PM, less muzzle flip and much quieter. My new favorite.

I hope to be as happy as you tomorrow, after my first range visit with my new CT45. The slide pin was difficult to remove. Every time I lined-up the two slots and turned the gun over to pound the other side with the butt-end of a wood screwdriver (like Kahr.com recommends), the two line-up slots would move because my slide is pretty darn stiff. I ended-up sticking a cleaning rod in the slide and let the slide close onto the rod. That lined-up the two lines almost perfect and I could let go of the stiff slide, trying to keep it partially open.

Then after Ballistol-cleaning and greasing (Superlube) the new Kahr, I saw that the large grip on the CT45 is only sticky-aggressive on the front and back, not on the sides. So I spent a few minutes sliding a cut bicycle tube up the grip (without tearing it). Now the grip feels better, but the gun looks like crap now.

I plan on shooting a 50-pk of Remington UMC 230gr FMJs. I need to shoot my Glock 42 also. I will be trying Federal HST HPs for the first time in the .380 Glock 42.

Quote Originally Posted by joemsj51 View Post
    I hope to be as happy as you tomorrow, after my first range visit with my new CT45. The slide pin was difficult to remove. Every time I lined-up the two slots and turned the gun over to pound the other side with the butt-end of a wood screwdriver (like Kahr.com recommends), the two line-up slots would move because my slide is pretty darn stiff. I ended-up sticking a cleaning rod in the slide and let the slide close onto the rod. That lined-up the two lines almost perfect and I could let go of the stiff slide, trying to keep it partially open.

Then after Ballistol-cleaning and greasing (Superlube) the new Kahr, I saw that the large grip on the CT45 is only sticky-aggressive on the front and back, not on the sides. So I spent a few minutes sliding a cut bicycle tube up the grip (without tearing it). Now the grip feels better, but the gun looks like crap now.

I plan on shooting a 50-pk of Remington UMC 230gr FMJs. I need to shoot my Glock 42 also. I will be trying Federal HST HPs for the first time in the .380 Glock 42.

That "pin" will loosen up. Pound it out with a screwdriver? I align it and use the corner of the magazine to push the "pin" out. All my handguns wear a bike tube. If looks are a problem install a better looking tube or wear a glove. Hand cycle the slide a few hundred time to loosen it up. 50 rounds down the tube is nothing, should be about 150.

Thanks for the suggestions. I shoot 50 with powerful handguns, or my hand/finger(s) regret it afterwards. That's why I take at least two handguns to the range\ and often take 3.

I'm no shootaholic during that one hour range-time either. I use one magazine per gun and load them after each expiration of the magazine. So it takes me almost the entire hour to shoot 100-150 rounds. Not in a hurry there -- for sure! Plus, I only shoot one magazine-each rapid fire. We must practice it, just in-case of a zombie apocalypse....lol.

You may have luck with the "gunsmith's grip". Using your right hand, hold the thumb under the beavertail with fingers over the slide, and squeeze your hand closed. This will retract the slide enough to take pressure off the pin. With your free left hand you should be able to reach behind and press the slide pin out toward you.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    this space for rent

Today my new CT45 behaved like your TP45 and zero malfunctions after 50 rounds fired. Not any snappier than my 9mm, but the nose flips up a little more, due to the longer 4" barrel.
    I still need work on my grip-hold and accuracy. That'll improve as the range visits repeat themselves. So you and I are two happy campers so far. My Clinger Stingray IWB holster just arrived, so life is good!

To get the slide stop out easier:
    1. Make sure the pistol is clear of ammunition
    2.Take an empty magazine and push it into the magazine well until you feel it just touch the slide stop..Don't go any further with the magazine.
    3.Hold the pistol in your right hand in a firing grip with your trigger finger pressing on the protruding slide stop pin on the right side of the pistol.
    4. While keeping pressure on the slide stop pin with your trigger finger, pull the slide back to align the marks on the slide while using your chest/belly to press the magazine up into the mag well until the slide stop pin just pops out.
    5. Remember to remove the magazine BEFORE attempting to take the slide off of the frame to disassemble.
    It may take a try or 2 and you will get a feel for how much pressure you need to use to press with your trigger finger on the pin, but it pops out pretty easily. This method saves the four handed method and plastic mallets flattening fingers.

Bill

I tool a birch closet rod dowel about 2" long and glued and screwed it to a 5x5 piece of plywood. Just the ticket for pressing out the pin as I line up the marks.

Question for all that use a tool for takedown. How or what does one use to remove the takedown lever when you aren't at home or at the range? Do you carry the tool in your pocket?

I usually can get it with just a press of a finger, but if not, I just use the in-opened end of my pocket knife. If out in the woods, a stick or a small rock will do.....