Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often, Why and what exactly do YOU do to it?

Default How often, Why and what exactly do YOU do to it?

Disassemble your mags...
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

If they appear gooey from packing grease when new, I'll do it. Or if I'm installing a +1 kit. Otherwise I leave them alone unless they show a reluctance to slide easily.

I clean mine about every 12-15 months, something to do on a lousy winter day. When in Mag cleaning mode, I do all off them, every pistol, every caliber, takes damn near all day.

For my 1911's I have a handful of dedicated range mags (bought from Joe's MagMania, blue steel), I never clean those unless they stop working.
    NRA Benefactor

Do you decompress the spring?
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com

How do you decompress a spring? Other than let it open all the way?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I check them every so often...............I lube a tiny bit, then rub most off. Don't want to attract too much gunk...........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    How do you decompress a spring? Other than let it open all the way?
    Gentle stretching...

I'm waiting for Harrylee to check in because i know he does this ritual.
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com

Can't remember the last time I had to disassemble a mag for cleaning. Also can't remember the last time I've had to change out a spring. Though back in the day spring changes were a fairly common ritual....especially with stock Colt/GI 1911 mags. I refuse to use those anymore. Stretching old springs is a poor, ops immediate band-aid at best....replace them. Stretching good modern springs that have taken a set isn't necessary. And I've left mags with Wolff and equivalent quality springs loaded for years with no ill effect/malfunction when used.
    NRA Benefactor

^^^^This.

Back in the day I had 6 mags for each carry gun. And I'd rotate every two weeks give or take to let the loaded mags rest.
    Looking back I think it was a complete waste of time on my part. Never had issues.
    The clincher was my gifted 1942 Colt that was fully loaded since Korea. I cleaned and oiled the gun (wasn't necessary as it was dry and would have run but safety first).
    I didn't touch the fully loaded magazine. It fired all rounds with no issues. I only used that magazine a few times after but it never balked.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

"Gentle stretching" of a spring is only going to wear the spring out faster, because permanently deforming it like that damages the structure of the steel. It is no different than bending a wire back and forth - both directions contribute to the work hardening that makes the wire eventually crack.

The best things you can do for a spring are not cycle it, not cycle it fully or leave it as uncompressed as possible when not in use (as long as that doesn't involve more cycling). In other words, loading and unloading a carry magazine will not make it last as long as just leaving it loaded, and leaving it partially loaded will put less wear on it than fully loaded.

But you can't take the set out of spring by setting it in the other direction. The only thing you can do is re-heat treat the spring (which is not as practical as replacing the spring).