CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle tube grip.

Default Bicycle tube grip.

Hi. I've seen posts about using a short length of bicycle tire tube over the grip. But I haven't seen what diameter of tire tube works for the pm/cm9. Can anyone shed some light on that?
    Thanks in advance.

Did the inner tube for a spell, these are far superior IMO.

http://tractiongrips.com/catalog/i82.html
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

A 26" X 1.5" - 2.125" tube fits well. Tried it on mine before I put the Talon grip on. Talon Grips are MUCH better, IMO.

Those Tractiongrips are cheaper, but don't cover the back of the grip.

Talons are $17.99 including shipping.

https://talongungrips.com/grips/kahr...-pm9-pm40.html

Thanks, good people.
    I love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    A 26" X 1.5" - 2.125" tube fits well. Tried it on mine before I put the Talon grip on. Talon Grips are MUCH better, IMO.

Those Tractiongrips are cheaper, but don't cover the back of the grip.

Talons are $17.99 including shipping.

https://talongungrips.com/grips/kahr...-pm9-pm40.html
    No Talons available for my CT45.

For those interested is making your own inner tube grip enhancement for your gun, you may find the following tips helpful.

-Cut the tube a little longer than you actually need. You can always make it shorter - not the reverse.
    -Pay more attention to the top of the tube when initially cutting it. Longer in the back, lower in the front. You don't want it to interfere with the mag release button.
    -Wash the tube section with dish soap and water, rinse and dry. There's usually talcum powder on them to help installing inside a bike tire.
    -Turn the tube inside out. The inside usually has less if any mold lines. Just looks better when installed.
    -Work slowly when installing, as you don't want the tube to tear. Sometimes you can roll the tube up before installing to make it easier. Like a condom.
    -It helps to heat the tube up a bit with a hair dryer when installing (stretches easier).
    -These tube grips can sometimes be a bit too soft, and can grab your shirt when carrying concealed. A little Armor All can help with this. Wipe off with alcohol if it gets too slippery.

It's not hard to do, just a bit tedious. There's enough material in a tube to do a whole bunch of grips, so don't sweat it if you wreck one.
    The tube I used was a Fuji 26" X 1.5" - 2.125" (32mm) mountain bike tube. That size should fit any Kahr made. I used a new one, but a used one should be OK, as long as it isn't too stretched out.
    Your local bike shop will likely happily give you a used one for free. They swap out a lot of tubes, and just throw out ones that have damage/punctures.

Good luck, and I hope these tips help someone.

Unload your pistol first! Cut the tube over the sink... talcum powder inside! I used a 1.75" by 26" for all of my Kahrs... and a Glock 30S. It doesn't add thickness and gives a good texture or feel... like the K9 rubber grip. Do mind the grip slipping and covering the magwell or mag release, which can cause problems with feeding and mag release.

I've been using the same bike tube since 2009 and have put or replaced grips on about 10 Kahrs... and still have about half the tube left... original cost about $1.99 for the Huffy tube at Walmart... many years before 2009! It was an unused spare.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I don't recall what size I used. I had it on hand, I buy weird stuff in the clearance aisle. I do know that it was a lot harder to get it over the CW9 than the CT380. I did cut them at an angle and got it right the first time. They fit perfect and I have no desire to swap them out for something else.

It took me several minutes to get a bicycle tube fitted on my long CT45 grip, for fear of it ripping.
    I never knew beforehand to turn it inside-out first. So the next time I install one, I'll see how much the inside-out tube improves the gripping power.

They work well for someone who doesn't necessarily want to change their grip size, and is happy with the status quo. I prefer Talon grip tape on some firearms, and on my MK, I use the Pachmayr grip sleeve. They move around on some firearms, but work very well with very little movement on my MK. I also like the fact that they fatten up the grip a bit, and absorb recoil shock very well. I'm glad there are many choices out there. They don't all work on different models. Like I mentioned, Pachmayr's for the Kahr, Grip/Limb saver for my HK, and Talon's for my M&P. Switch them around and they don't work for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images