Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: M1917 Sporter project

Default M1917 Sporter project

This M1917 30-06 was mine for less than $300 at LGS. Built in 1918, never issued so far as I can tell or it was used as a drill rifle. Needed some TLC. All of the bluing had been removed and the barrel rusted on one side where the rifle laid in a case for years. Bore and chamber look brand new. The barrel was turned on the lathe to clean up the rust and slightly tapered. The muzzle was re-crowned. Cerakote looks nice. I left the bolt and trigger guard white (for now). Nice sporter stock (1960's??), epoxied the ebony cap and added a recoil pad. Found a new old stock target trigger on flea bay for about $25.00. Trigger release is now 2.5 lbs and very smooth.Scope and mounts are a work in progress.

The scope in the images is a goner, issues with the cross hairs I am looking for a picatinny rail to replace the weaver mounts and a scope long enough to fit the action. Most new scopes are too short. Don't care for the aluminum mounts on the 30-06.

The M1917 cocks on closing, was Sgt. York's favorite rifle. Not bad for a 99 year old rifle.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTXAkQd

Very nice. Looks like you flattened the floor plate also. Looks good.

I have my fathers and my grandfathers 17's. Grandfathers is sporterized a bit. My dads is back in original shape, pretty rough stock but best I could find at the time. I need to upgrade that one of these days.

Only bolt rifle I ever hunted with.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Very nice. Looks like you flattened the floor plate also. Looks good.

I have my fathers and my grandfathers 17's. Grandfathers is sporterized a bit. My dads is back in original shape, pretty rough stock but best I could find at the time. I need to upgrade that one of these days.

Only bolt rifle I ever hunted with.
    Yes I did flatten the floor plate, forgot about that!

Nice work!

Nice work on that rifle texasm77!

Good eye Bawanna

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

If memory serves (unlikely) Sgt York swapped an A3-03 for the 17 he made famous.

I think I'm going to give mine a hug and fondle tonight when I get home
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."