Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: Continuing search for rear sight

Default Continuing search for rear sight

Disclaimer: I havent taken it to a gunsmith yet, as I'm somewhat enjoying the processs.

Factory rear sight shot about 4" low at 15 yds. Once I obtained the dimensions for the rear sight (posted on different thread), I started looking for an adj sight that would fit.

Tried a Springfield adj rear, which fit after a little filing, but the sight is too long and contacts the top of the slide during elevation adjustment downward. At it's lowest elevation setting I'm now hitting 5" high at 15yds. Not good either (but better than hitting low IMO).

Next I tried a Novak Lomount from Brownells, non adjustable. Did some more filing to get it fit. But it sits too high and my POI is still about 5" high.

So I'm looking for a novak-style but lower profile or adjustable, rear sight can't be more than .75" long so it doesn't hi the slide. To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by irishbob View Post
    Disclaimer: I havent taken it to a gunsmith yet, as I'm somewhat enjoying the processs.

Factory rear sight shot about 4" low at 15 yds. Once I obtained the dimensions for the rear sight (posted on different thread), I started looking for an adj sight that would fit.

Tried a Springfield adj rear, which fit after a little filing, but the sight is too long and contacts the top of the slide during elevation adjustment downward. At it's lowest elevation setting I'm now hitting 5" high at 15yds. Not good either (but better than hitting low IMO).

Next I tried a Novak Lomount from Brownells, non adjustable. Did some more filing to get it fit. But it sits too high and my POI is still about 5" high.

So I'm looking for a novak-style but lower profile or adjustable, rear sight can't be more than .75" long so it doesn't hi the slide. To be continued...
    Have you given any thought to reducing the height of the Novak sight?

I have a Ruger P345 that shot high for me and I took material off it's rear sight until it shot like I wanted it to.
    http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=216407

I imagine the Novak might take a little more work than the P345 sight, but it might be worth a shot.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by irishbob View Post

Hi,

My BDE iii shot ~8" low at 10 yds with stock rear sight. I would like to know what sight you used right now to make it shot higher? The rear sight cut out seems not a standard NOVAK cut so I don't know what to buy. I would prefer a light pipe type of sight to improve low light visibility. A link to where you purchased it will much appreciated.

Call Dawson Precision....they will get you squared away with the proper sight heights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I'll try Dawson.
    I found a Springfield adj sight on Brownell's, and with a little filing of the novak cut I got it to fit nicely. But the sight cant be lowered enough to correct high shots. Slide cutout isn't big enough IMO. Continuing to search.

thanks for your posts ..

Irishbob check out this sight from crosman that gb6491 pointed me to. I thought I sent you a private message about it. I have one coming tomorrow. I'll post how it works out when I get the chance. it's made by LPA the same company that makes the original sight on my BEIII but it's adjustable I've seen two posts where folks say it fixed the problem for them and it installed without a problem here is one of the posts read the the last two posts in the thread: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=87136.0
    Here is a link right to the sight itself. http://www.crosman.com/lpa-mim-rear-sight