Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: indoor gun range comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default indoor gun range comments

Well i have recently been shooting indoors at the good old paper silohuettes. This is more of me just rambling about my thoughts.

Sometimes i fear when other people come into shoot. A guy brought a couple girls in that never shot before and he was giving them lessons on how to shoot a handgun. Then she shot a few and said is this empty...i could visualize her holding it sideways towards my way through the wall....People like that kind of scare me.
    Do you ever feel like this?

Im there to have a good time...the severel times i went everybody shoots slow as like they had a sniper rifle and were sighting in for a 1000yard shot. I like to shoot accurate but in a defense situation ( i know indoor shooting does no justice other then accuracy) chances are you gunna point and shoot as fast as you can to neutrilize the threat. I pop of the rounds like mad and shoot decently, of course no tight groups but the wounds would be lethal. I try to one in the head and the rest in the chest or vice versa. Whats your routine?

I seen a kid post a vid of indoor shooting a glock one handed. I ask do you think your ganster? He responds um pratice shooting one handed just in case i get shot in the arm. I said chances are you would be dead or the fight would be over before you would have to shoot one handed or armed.... Then i said why dont you hop on one leg and use one hand to shoot because you got shot in the arm and leg....Honestly is this bologna for practicing defense situations?

If you dont care to answer thats fine. I just felt like rambling. If you answer your comments are appreciated!

Every thing you say makes sense. My alert level goes up alot when people I suspect might be unsafe show up or are already there. I'm also not the least afraid to tell people I feel are acting unsafe to mend their ways. The ranges I visit have cameras on and usually the range guys will have a chat if needed but they also aren't breathing down your neck either which is good for me. One of the first things I tell kids or new shooters that I may take along is respect for your elders is right out the window. If you see an old guy being unsafe you let the world and him know or tell me and I'll tell him. Many times they aren't deliberately being unsafe, they are just not paying attention.

I do occasionally shoot one handed and weak handed, probably not enough or as much as I should but one never knows. I do vary speeds but generally don't blast away as fast as I can. I try to cut guys that are practicing for like 22 matches and spend alot of time aiming and aligning by taking a break or putting the big bang toys aside till they get some time. Many others don't so not sure I'm helping but I feel good about trying anyhow.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The indoor ranges around here have a rule on the amount of seconds between shots...I believe it is 2. I generally would shoot faster than that, but I abide by their rules, but I also shoot tight groups when shooting quickly (if my group starts to spread, I slow down).

I know what you mean about some people having bad habits or being scary, but in certain situations they have to learn sometime. Unless I actually see them lasering me or something I try not to worry about it too much. If I see them do something like that, I will say something to them.

As far as 1 handed shooting goes, I can't speak for the video (maybe he was holding it sideways or some trash like that) but in the real world, much of my police training was done with shooting from one hand. There are many reasons I found it good to learn to use one hand, whether using cover, shooting off handed because of cover, holding a flashlight, holding a door closed, etc. Again, that's not saying the kid wasn't doing it to be gangsta, but there is still valid practice in learning to shoot from different hands, with and without support, different positions etc. It would be nice if all tactical situations were in a position in which you could shoot strong side, fully supported, on a stationary bad guy giving you profile at 10 yards, but usually that doesn't happen....

Why would they have a limit or rate of fire? Ive only bin to one so is this rule at alot of places? I dont pop off rounds real fast maybe every 3rd clip.

One handed has its advantages if your police or swat...but as a armed citizen i dont see it as something i should practice....because ill have both hands free or make them free if my life depends on it. But if thats what floats your boat then cool.

Thanks for the posts so far.

One handed shooting should be a part of everyone's shooting experience. There can easily be times when that would be called for, such as behind cover.

I try to limit my fast shooting to that speed at which I actually hit what I'm aiming at, and that will depend on the target, the gun and the distance. Even then I try to limit my rounds to two and no more than three. I don't want to "learn" to empty my gun.

I've been swept by loaded guns at my usual range by inexperienced shooters. On the other hand, I once had to reprimand a bunch of LEOs who were horsing around, showing off a bit too much. Very poor examples. It always pays to be alert. Speaking up may save your life.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

My opinion: Practice anyway that makes you feel you might be more prepared in a defense situation.

I do not practice hardly ever in weak hand position. I am so left hand oriented that my right hand and arm are just there to balance me out. I put no credibility to shooting right handed, so there fore I just don't. I really enjoy shooting but definitelty for me not right handed. It also doesn't bother me squat either that I am not proficient in weak hand shooting. At my age, I don't get to paranoid about some things..

As long as the manner in which the handle the weapon does not endanger me or others the shooting technique they use is really none of my business. If they want to shoot two handed, one handed that is fine with me as I fire about 1/4 of my rounds one handed, both dominant and non-dominant.

They have a limit to make sure people control their firing (keeping things safer).

I still think everyone should learn to shoot one handed. You can't ALWAYS make that other hand free. What do you do if you think someone has broken into your house at 3am? Do you now have any sort of flashlight?

I seldom practice weak side shooting anymore, but I still shoot one handed, just make sure I don't become reliant on my off hand in order to function...but then I also like to try different shooting positions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by f44life View Post
    I seen a kid post a vid of indoor shooting a glock one handed. I ask do you think your ganster? He responds um pratice shooting one handed just in case i get shot in the arm. I said chances are you would be dead or the fight would be over before you would have to shoot one handed or armed.... Then i said why dont you hop on one leg and use one hand to shoot because you got shot in the arm and leg....Honestly is this bologna for practicing defense situations?
    IMO if you carry a handgun for protection it's unwise to neglect weak hand shooting and strong hand shooting, as well as two-hand shooting. We simply don't know what unforseen things will happen in a lethal encounter. The fight could start with the bad guy breaking your arm with a baseball bat or tire iron, or you might have to use one hand to usher a loved one out of the line of fire while engaging the threat with your other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtex View Post
    IMO if you carry a handgun for protection it's unwise to neglect weak hand shooting and strong hand shooting, as well as two-hand shooting. We simply don't know what unforseen things will happen in a lethal encounter. The fight could start with the bad guy breaking your arm with a baseball bat or tire iron, or you might have to use one hand to usher a loved one out of the line of fire while engaging the threat with your other hand.
    true, but if your observant enough a bat or crowbar you should already see coming and if he does get ya at point blank one handed i hope i can hit em.

If someone broke in my house, i wouldnt be carrying a flashlight because that would give up my position.

If i had to honestly prepare for a defense situation and feel comfortable... i would play paintball everyday...to chuck norris rolls and shoot...do a running slide shot...it could be endless.:40:

You all have valid points. What is your shooting routine? all in the chest or what?