Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sight replacement on PM9 - DIY or send to Kahr Arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Handgun-pushe...s=sight+pusher
    I see one similar on Greg's bench...
    Thanks. Shortly after my last post, I happened to order the same one, with the additional block sets. I figured for $10 more, I'd be glad I did should I ever need them in the future.

I will post again to say how it went, although I have no idea when I will actually install the sights, since I'm now second-guessing my choice in sights.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    The front sight, which is usually weaker, should be centered and the rear should be set wherever you have determined it should be to have the point of impact where you want it. I do not use thread locking compounds until I am sure the sights are aligned properly. When installed, rinse the sights with water or alcohol to remove the lubricant. I recommend shooting the gun before using the threadlocker. Once you determine the sights are set properly, you can consider some Loctite or something similar. While most use Loctite on the underside of the sights, I prefer to use it on the sides of the dovetail as I think it would be easier to remove later, if needed for adjustment or whatever.
    OK, I've got my sight pusher in hand, and my sights are on order.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but this does refer to adding Loctite with the sights installed, right? Just let it bleed into the dovetail? (As opposed to, say, marking where the rear sight is aligned, removing it, and installing it with Loctite already in place, re-aligning to the previous marking so the sight is in its proper location.) I didn't think the Loctite would be able to work its way in there.

It seems like I could just go ahead and use Loctite straight away with the front sight, as long as I don't take too long getting it centered.

And while I'm on a roll here, is blue Loctite sufficient? I don't want to use red Loctite now only to find that I'd need to use a hydraulic press later on to get the sights out again, should I ever want to.

The Williams FireSights rear sight for Kahr handguns does have a set screw, so there's that. I'm sort of expecting the rear sight to slide in alarmingly easily.

I find dovetail sights most often need some fitting for installation. If I get a tight fit, I usually forgo using any Loctite.
    If I do you use it, it's put on after I've verified that the sights are positioned correctly (read range trip). For this I use Loctite 609 and let it weep in.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I recommend waiting until you are satisfied with your results before using Loctite, after shooting your PM9. For normal civilian carry, sights are not under great stress. I have stopped using Loctite under the sights and have been using it on the sides of the dovetails in order to make it easier to remove the Loctite to adjust or remove the sight later. Full disclosure: I am not very concerned about how a concealed handgun looks. What I suggest looks a bit sloppier, so you should consider this. When you are happy with your result, you can place Loctite under the sight, if you still want to do so. I like using grades of Loctite or substitutes which allow later adjustment.

Hey Greg,
    I seem to notice you're using felt pads as vise jaws. I didn't think there were many who knew about using them. But what do I know.
    Anyway I've used some one piece 6"w x 12"l x 1/2" thick pads as jaws that wrapped around the bottom of my vises in case a piece slipped out of the jaws.

Question: I wore out my last piece of felt. If you're using the same, do you know where I can by some more. I'm again looking or 1/2" pieces

Thanks for reading this,
    John

OOPS ! I just finished reading that you use leather pieces.
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Yep, there's masking tape on that slide

I have two magnetic vice jaw pads made of aluminum that I use quite a bit. They originally had some thin rubber on them, but that was quickly replaced with leather (as in the photos above).
    I also have some pads that are just cut pieces of 90 degree aluminum angle stock (sitting on top of the vise in this photo):

I keep meaning to cut another pair and put leather on them, but never seem to get around to it.
    Regards,
    Greg
    I noticed the sledge hammers, but where are the chisels ?

A small addition to an already great deal of excellent information- When I had a really tight front sight to remove, I waited until I got some brass key stock purchased online. I bought a foot of brass 1/4" and 1/2" key stock. Don't remember where, but there are companies who sell such stuff, and actually at reasonable prices. Google it, or whatever works for you. I used the 1/4" brass stock which has a square profile (from the end) and filed it, as necessary, to fit into the dovetail as neatly and tightly as possible against the base of the sight to prevent the wrong sort of movement when tapped with a hammer. Worked good for me.
    "You can go a long way with a smile, but you can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."
    Attributed to Alphonse Gabriel Capone, 1899-1947.

"Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun."
    Attributed to Muggsy, -don't know when .....

Quote Originally Posted by KCAutoBob View Post
    A small addition to an already great deal of excellent information- When I had a really tight front sight to remove, I waited until I got some brass key stock purchased online. I bought a foot of brass 1/4" and 1/2" key stock. Don't remember where, but there are companies who sell such stuff, and actually at reasonable prices. Google it, or whatever works for you. I used the 1/4" brass stock which has a square profile (from the end) and filed it, as necessary, to fit into the dovetail as neatly and tightly as possible against the base of the sight to prevent the wrong sort of movement when tapped with a hammer. Worked good for me.
    I've used this tool with good results.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...llation-tools/