Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plunk test fail: CW380/ Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by joemsj51 View Post
    Ed M

Please name a couple other ammo options (cheaper ones) that use the nickle plated case? Your Underwood is mucho dinero per round
    Thanks!
    I've never encountered inexpensive range ammo that uses good nickle casings.

The Underwood ammo in the link I posted above is actually pretty cheap for self defense ammo. Tough to beat $15.50 per box of 20, especially considering the quality of the components, and the consisitent overall quality of the product, in my experience.

I don't burn through a lot of self defense ammo at the range. Just the typical replacement after carrying it for a while, or testing a new carry weapon. Underwood e-mails me free shipping coupons all the time for $100 or more worth of ammo purchased. Since I only use Underwood ammo in my 380s , that lasts a long time. I use Federal HST 147 gr in my 9mm carry guns, and Target Sports USA has good prices on that....

I don't carry reloaded ammo for the same reason but I do save nickel cases and reload them with the better bullets. They are just in case I run out of store bought, "the guy at the counter told me to carry this stuff" ammo. Not likely I'll run out but I was a boy scout too many years to not be prepared.

Brass cases are for bulk practice type stuff.

I also have a case gage but seldom use it. I do the plunk test for a few rounds of each batch and call it good to go.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I've never encountered inexpensive range ammo that uses good nickle casings.

The Underwood ammo in the link I posted above is actually pretty cheap for self defense ammo. Tough to beat $15.50 per box of 20, especially considering the quality of the components, and the consisitent overall quality of the product, in my experience.

I don't burn through a lot of self defense ammo at the range. Just the typical replacement after carrying it for a while, or testing a new carry weapon. Underwood e-mails me free shipping coupons all the time for $100 or more worth of ammo purchased. Since I only use Underwood ammo in my 380s , that lasts a long time. I use Federal HST 147 gr in my 9mm carry guns, and Target Sports USA has good prices on that....
    So you aren't naming any other nickel casings you've tried in your Kahr?
    BTW.... I have "other" issues with Lehigh / Underwood, dating back to muzzleloader bullets.

Off the top of my head:

Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Fiocchi Extrema, Speer, Sig Sauer, Remington. All worked fine.

Actually, the only ammo I've ever tried that didn't work perfectly in my CW380 was Perfecta from Walmart. I don't worry about that, as I rarely even see that stuff in stock at my local Walmarts in 380.

Occasionally, they do have Perfecta in 9mm, and I buy it when they do. It works great in all my 9's, including my Kahrs. Really like it, as it burns clean, and seems like it's a fairly stout load.

I run 45 cal XTP's in my Savage 10ML2 muzzleloader with special sabots. Been so long since I had to buy the sabots that I forget who makes them. Just checked - they're made by MMP.
    Last edited by Ed M; 06-20-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    FWIW, I don't reload self defense ammo for the legal aspect of it, but that's a different can of worms.
    And that's the can of worms we are discussing here, not reloads.
    So do you plunk test the factory self defense ammo in the barrel of your carry gun
    just askin'
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    So do you plunk test the factory self defense ammo in the barrel of your carry gun
    just askin'
    If I had only one carry gun, I probably would. But since I have quite a few in each caliber I carry - no.

I test each carry round in a SAAMI standard sized gauge. If it passes that test, I've found it will function in all of my guns. None of them has shown to be especially sensitive to slightly out of spec rounds.

Basically, I'm just looking for rounds that may be significantly out of spec - and yes, I've found some. I send those through a Lee bulge buster die setup to see if they will then pass the gauge test. Sometimes, the case rim is just a little large, and that usually takes care of it. That's something that a plunk test in a barrel wouldn't show, since it's not going deep enough to make that apparent.

I ran in to this issue 6+ years ago, when shooting my MK. I was using different ammo selections, including Fiocchi 115 gr. and was having a few FTF's and FTE's. When I got home from the range, I put a few different bullets on the table, and the Fiocchi was substantially longer than the others. I quit using the ammo, and haven't had a problem since. I didn't mind because it seemed excessively dirty. It's always worked in my other firearms of different calibers. I never did a "plunk test". In my case, the ammo was occasionally getting caught underneath the feed ramp. I attributed this to the excess length, and the lower power.

Default A Plunk Test Article

I found this article about the plunk test to be informative/interesting:
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/

where it says:
    "A case gauge can be very useful, but the best reloading device for the plunk test is your pistol’s barrel because that’s what you’ll be shooting your ammunition from, not the case gauge."
    Another good read about reloading basics:
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/am...oading_050211/

I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    And that's the can of worms we are discussing here, not reloads.
    just askin'
    I have seen mentioned using, or not using reloaded ammo for self defense for years. I have not been able to find any reason not to other than internet posts, believed by some to be an internet myth. Do you have any documented proof that using reloads has been used in a court of law?

I have recently started using my reloads as carry ammo. I now get 99%+ reliability loaded for a specific gun. I have not gotten this with store bought, defensive ammo.

If this is to out-of-line with the string of posts, let me know and I will start a new thread. Or just send me a PM.

Yet another can of worms....

The reason I only use factory self defense ammo is that the lawyer that would be defending me in court advised me not to use reloads.

He said it may complicate things to have to assemble more "expert witnesses", have ballistic tests done, etc. It allows a prosecutor more potential avenues to assemble his/her case against you. This applies to civil lawsuits as well as criminal prosecution.

In the case of factory self defense rounds, the testing has already been largely documented already. Say you use Hornady ammo - they only need to bring in one expert witness from Hornady that already has documentation on their ammo. Less time/expense/risk for YOU. This lawyer is also a CCW permit holder, and had a Springfield 45 in his hip holster as he explained his answer to my question. It was his opinion and advice he was offering, but the decision is purely mine.

We carry to protect our life and liberty. Anything I can do to maximize my chances of retaining them is something I want to do. Obviously, the choice is yours.