Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New used P380

Default New used P380

So I really wanted to get a CW380 for summer carry and when I ride my motorcycle but after stalking the forums for a few weeks the fear of getting a lemon got to me. This morning I walked into the gun store with the intention of buying an LCP 2 but I saw a used P380 for $425. It just so happened that used guns were getting $25 off as well. Perhaps it was fate? I'm still scared that it's a lemon but I plan to take it out this week to find out. So far I've manually cycled a mag of GECO and Hornady critical defense with one failure to feed by getting caught on the firing pin. I'm not really going to count that though as it was just by hand anyways. Wish me luck!

Keep us posted with a range report. Even though it's pre-owned, I'd do a thorough cleaning and prep prior to your range debut. Good luck with it.

Hand-cycling rounds through a semi-auto tells you absolutely nothing about its reliability. Go smoke some and let us know how it goes.

Years ago I had a Colt .45 Commander that kept choking even on 230gr ball ammo, yet it fed empty cases with no trouble. Go figure...

Personally, I would much rather take my chances with a P380, than your chosen alternative......................don't worry, if you have issues, there are plenty of owners to help you out....

My CT380 cycles & shoots Hornady Critical Defense, Federal, & American Eagle without a hitch, but it refuses to shoot WWB.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Alright so I got a chance to shoot about 80 rounds today and so far I've had 2 first round FTF where the slide had stopped right at the end and needed a slight push to completely go forward and 2 light primer strikes. Besides that I absolutely love the way this gun shoots. To me the recoil feels just like my G19.

Regarding the FTF, were you loading the rounds by using the slide release from a locked back position with the slide? That is the factory recommended approach.

Also, with a couple of light strikes, I might consider getting some new recoil springs just so you know where you are starting with the pistol.

It sounds like whatever issues you saw, they should be pretty easy to get past. They are nice shooting pistols. Congrats!
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Were any of the problems with the Hornady ammo, or just the Geco?

If it was just the Geco that had the light strikes, I wouldn't worry too much. Geco has some hard primers - just ask dsk about that one....

Try some USA made ammo like Blazer Brass, Federal American Eagle, or Remington in it - Kahr recommends domestic made ammo. Their primers are often softer than foreign stuff. One exception is PMC Bronze (made in Korea). My 380 loves that stuff...

2 good ideas so far: avoid GECO, replace recoil springs. Here's another - watch that grip. Its so easy to limp wrist a micro gun, where its hard to limp wrist a G19. Just be aware, lock the wrist, and grip hard. its a great little gun.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

The FTF were with the GECO rounds and they both occurred when dropping the slide release for the first rounds from the mags. The gun went through 2 mags of the Hornady Critical Duty back to back. Plan to go out again next weekend and shoot a few more boxes. I noticed that some polymer was being scraped off the frame. Perhaps it still needs a proper break in?