Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights

Thread: Old K9 - Elite trigger Install - Overtravel question

Question Old K9 - Elite trigger Install - Overtravel question

I have an older K9 - June 1996 - K9091.

I have installed the following parts from the k9098 Elite:
    Trigger: 009K9S
    Trigger spring: 010K9S
    Trigger spacer: 011P9

The trigger breaks cleanly at a shorter distance and after it breaks there is a solid stop, no overtravel. The issue is when I hold the trigger back and rack the slide, the trigger moves another 1/8 of an inch.

I am wondering if I need to install the newer trigger bar or cocking cam. A cross reference between the K9098, K9094, and K9093 shows they all use the same trigger bar and cocking cam. However I do not know if this is the same for my K9091. I saw an old post here referencing the older trigger bar however the bar in mine looks like the newer ones. i am not sure if the round portion is wider on the new ones that would prevent it from overtraveling...

Upon removing the right grip panel. I can visually see the trigger bar moving downwards disengaging the cocking cam and sliding underneath it.

I guess my questions are:
    should my cocking cam be longer so the trigger bar does not slide underneath it?
    should that round portion over my trigger bar be thicker so that while it slides forward it hits the frame preventing over travel?

Quote Originally Posted by iflylow View Post
    I have an older K9 - June 1996 - K9091.

I have installed the following parts from the k9098 Elite:
    Trigger: 009K9S
    Trigger spring: 010K9S
    Trigger spacer: 011P9

The trigger breaks cleanly at a shorter distance and after it breaks there is a solid stop, no overtravel. The issue is when I hold the trigger back and rack the slide, the trigger moves another 1/8 of an inch.

I am wondering if I need to install the newer trigger bar or cocking cam. A cross reference between the K9098, K9094, and K9093 shows they all use the same trigger bar and cocking cam. However I do not know if this is the same for my K9091. I saw an old post here referencing the older trigger bar however the bar in mine looks like the newer ones. i am not sure if the round portion is wider on the new ones that would prevent it from overtraveling...

Upon removing the right grip panel. I can visually see the trigger bar moving downwards disengaging the cocking cam and sliding underneath it.

should my cocking cam be longer so the trigger bar does not slide underneath it?
    should that round portion over my trigger bar be thicker so that while it slides forward it hits the frame preventing over travel?
    Welcome to the forums

Both my K9 and MK9 exhibit this behavior to some degree, with the MK9 being closer to the extra length of travel you describe. On the other hand, none of my poly Kahrs do this.

My guess as to why this is:
    First, I believe that during the firing sequence on my metal frame pistols trigger travel is stopped by the striker lobe of the cocking cam. I can verify this by removing the slide, pulling the trigger all the way to the rear, and holding it there. I then push down the trigger bar disconnecting it as the slide would do. Doing this, there is no extra trigger travel.

On the poly guns, the cocking cam may still be doing this, but it's hard to verify because the trigger has less travel than on the steel guns and is already very close to where it stops when the striker releases.

FWIW, on my pistols trigger travel is stopped by the front edge of the trigger hitting the frame. On the metal frame guns the trigger's contact point is lower than that on the poly frame (thus the longer travel).

The older trigger bar is quite a bit different than the current one.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe there have been any other changes to the bar, so I doubt you have an issue there.

No, the the part of the cocking cam that engages the trigger bar needs to be short enough that the trigger bar can be disconnected from it (allowing the cam to reset after the striker is released).
    If you are talking about the disconnector portion of the trigger bar, I think what you suggest could lead to the bar binding.
    If the extra travel bothers you, you might look at the area where the trigger contacts the frame...maybe add some tape to the frame there as a test.

Hope the above makes some sense.

As I haven't had any issues with my pistols because of the above, I"ll leave them as is. YMMV

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Nice photos with your analysis.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk