CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen

Thread: First failures today

Default First failures today

Took my P380 to the range today just to kill a paper plate or two. For the first time since I've owned the gun I had 2 failures to feed in 4 mags. (same mag) One was with a Blazer Brass round and the other with a Hornady Critical Defense. Never had trouble with them before in this gun. New recoil springs on the way...not going to over-analyze.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    not going to over-analyze.
    aww, come on man. Let us armchair​ analyze​ it to death.

How many rounds do you have through the gun?

Was it clean and lubed, or was it still dirty from the last time you shot it and fill with lint from riding around in your pocket?

Did you inspect the mag?

What kind of failures were they?

Issues resolved...

I have no idea on the round count. I keep it clean and lubed. Both were failures to feed, each with different ammunition. I put in a new set of recoil springs (the new inner was a good 1/2 " longer than the old) last night and took it to the range at lunch. Nary a problem with either ammo.

My takeaway...If your Kahr .380 is running along fine and all of a sudden fails to feed or RTB - throw the spare set of recoil springs you keep at it and things should be fine.

Good advice.

I was really concerned that the new inner spring was sooooo long. It was difficult to get the spring assembly back in the gun. Since it's been in and had a couple dozen rounds through it the inner spring has compressed back to the "normal" length. I've seen posts in the past about snipping coils off etc. but none of that was necessary.

I don't know about others' experiences, but my P380 seems to burn through recoil springs like there's no tomorrow. I'm having to replace them every few hundred rounds.