Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you lube your CM9 and how many times do you re-rack the same round?

I've broken in my CM9 and don't shoot it much now, just carry it. But I like to keep it oiled up and ready. If I do that once a month (which the manual says to do if I remember right) I'd be re-racking that top bullet 12 times which seems excessive. I think I'm going to go with a no more than a handful of times rule, say 2-3 and then set it aside for that occasional range time, or deadeyes method of dropping it to the bottom of the mag and then when all six are have been racked a few times freshen it up. Thanks for the responses.

FWIW, after this mornings' dry fire session, I loaded my carry mag and released the slide and had a FTL; checked the round and it had setback, case rim cause the stoppage; if your rotating setback rounds into your mags be sure they will not cause a stoppage. a wack w/bullet puller did the fix. just sayn.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

I try to shoot both of my carry guns at least once a month. When I get back from the range I clean and lube them. When I load my carry rounds I lock the slide back and drop one in the chamber and release the slide lock. Then I put a full mag in. I have not had any set back using this method on a CW380 and a PM9. it keeps the cases pristine to. I load my first shot and mag at the range the same way and have never had a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    When I load my carry rounds I lock the slide back and drop one in the chamber and release the slide lock. Then I put a full mag in.
    I was under the impression this was a no-no and can wreck the extractor. But until I read that a few times, I did it for years with several firearms with no trouble. What's the general consensus... OK to do or not recommended?

Tight groups,
    Bob

Technically it's a no no, but many people do it and have done it for years without failures.

I used to do it myself until I was enlightened. Some extractors are much more forgiving than others too.

Murphy follows me around like a rain cloud so once I learn something can cause a problem, that's when it'll hit me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

May be I need to change my process.

Whenever checking or cleaning, I pull the mag and eject the round in the chamber. When finished, I insert magazine, rack one in to the chamber, put the previously racked one back in the magazine, then reinsert mag. Some minor scratching on the brass, but never set back.

That's the proper way to do it. The extractor is designed to pick up the case rim as it comes out of the magazine, not pop over the edge as it slams into the back of the cartridge.
    Guns with the external extractors have more travel and generally live longer if you drop a round in the chamber.
    Others it's kind of Russian roulette, might work a 1000 times or it might break on the first round, just never know.
    Same as shooting lead bullets through a polygonal rifled barrel, it works, many people have fired 100's of lead bullets through them but it could cause issues at any time.
    Could blow from over pressure on round 5 or 5005.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I haven't had any set back issues with my cm9. That involves me dry fire practicing almost nightly since I have gotten the pistol a month back. I have rotated out my carry ammo a few times though. When the rounds begin to look scuffed up or discolored I'll just go out back and run the whole mag through the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro