Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you lube your CM9 and how many times do you re-rack the same round?

Default How often do you lube your CM9 and how many times do you re-rack the same round?

I like to lubricate my carry pistols at least once every 1-2 months and I am aware of setback issues...was wondering how some of you handled it? I'm using Hornady CD 115g for carry. I've re-racked the top around a few times. Is that it, is the round now unreliable and should be set aside as "not safe for shooting"? Do you re-rack say twice and then save them for target practice next time at the range? Just curious to know how some of you handle it. Thank you in advance.

I just look at it, compare to another unracked round. If it's set back just a bit, I put that one down in the stack, or set it aside for next range trip.

Some ammo seldom sets back, others do so pretty frequently. Also depends on the gun.

Unless it's really pushed back in they are generally ok to shoot at the range.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thank you Bawanna, next time I lubricate the gun I'll look closely at the bullets and see if there is much difference between them and the re-racked one. I do notice a bit of scraping on the brass sometimes. I asked the tech at Kahr if that was normal operation and he said yes. Do you get some scuffing on the side of the brass sometimes?

I'm using Winchester 147 grain hollow points for my self defense rounds. Just to check them I've racked them 4 or 5 times and measured them with a caliper. No setback but after 4 racks I put them back in the stack. When the 6 round magazine is full of restacked ones I shoot them and reload with new ones. My ranges shooting is done with Wolf Gold FMJ's. Cleaning is up to you. My CM9 is my constant companion so it stays clean and oiled at all times.

Some scuffing is normal, can't be helped. Many take fine sandpaper on a dowel or pencil and polish up the bottom edge of the feed lips. This helps eliminate some of the scuffing.

Scuffing doesn't really hurt anything. As a reloader it's unsightly but unless it's really gouged it still works.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I like that system you have deadeye. I think I'll try to incorporate something similar to my cleaning/reloading routine.

That's good to know Bawanna, thank you for sharing your experience about it. Yes the scuffing I'm seeing is minor, no gouging thankfully.

I'm very happy with this little pistol. I still carry my LCP sometimes when the smaller size is needed but I prefer the CM9.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    As a reloader it's unsightly.....

Just say NO to scuffing. No, I'm not OCD. OK, maybe a little.

Attached Images Attached Images

I get that too after a ride in the tumbler. Some just can't handle the scuffed ones.

I like shiny and pretty too.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I lube my CM9 about every 200/300 rds. w/saturated Q-tip; it's my EDC/competition gun, so it is shot a lot. I carry Hornady CD 115 gr. and do get set back after two/three ejections; a ride in my bullet puller restores OAL. why don't I burn em up? cheep cheep cheep!

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

In all my years, with different ammo, and different firearms, I personally have NEVER had a setback issue. Not sayin it can't happen. I keep 2 primary firearms loaded at all times, with one in the chamber. I don't rotate the ammo, because there is no need. Setback has never been an issue.