Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Front Sight Movement

Default Front Sight Movement

Guys,

I just bought my first Kahr, a PM9. and took it to the gun range in Sacramento CA. After 150 rounds I had only one round that did not eject (the first round). Thereafter, it was smooth as glass. I replaced the factory followers on my mags with Lakeline. So there was no problem sling shot the first round.

Here my problem. After about a 100 rounds I noticed my front sight had drifted to the left. It seemed rather odd. So after I finished the mag I took a peek. I simply used my two fingers and moved it to the center of the barrow. After several more shots the front sights had, again, moved left.

Obviously the front sight has not been installed correctly. So what are my options? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks for chiming in.

Mag Release (Jim)

Option #1: Clean up the sight base and dovetail on the slide with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Apply red Loctite 272 to the mating surfaces, and try to center the sight as best you can.

Clean off any visible Loctite on the slide dovetail with a q-tip. If you don't get it all off when wet, you can get it off when it's dry later (tougher).

Let the Loctite cure for 24 hours or longer.

Option #2: Call Kahr and have them send you a new front sight. If that one fits better, cool. If not, it's back to option 1 or 3.

Option #3: Call Kahr and get a RA shipping label. Send them the slide, and let them worry about it.

I'd choose option 1, FWIW...

Quote Originally Posted by MagRelease View Post

Here my problem. After about a 100 rounds I noticed my front sight had drifted to the left. It seemed rather odd. So after I finished the mag I took a peek. I simply used my two fingers and moved it to the center of the barrow. After several more shots the front sights had, again, moved left.

Obviously the front sight has not been installed correctly. So what are my options? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Mag Release (Jim)
    Ed M has given you good advice

Methods I've used for loose dovetail sights include:
    Applying a thread locker/retaining compound to the sight and dovetail. I like Loctite 609 retaining compound for this, but see where others like to use a red or blue threadlocker. I suggest trying this first as it usually requires no tools if you can move the sight with your fingers.

Upsetting some material on the bottom of the sight with a punch. The upset material, in effect, thickens the sight base, thus tightens the sight's fit in the dovetail.

Replacing the old sight with a properly fitted sight.

Otherwise:
    I've read where folks have shimmed a loose dovetail sight, but have never done that myself.

I've thought of adding solder to a sight base, but haven't done so.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

If you can tap the sight completely off, I sometimes peen the bottom of the sight. Position it so you won't harm the top sight part and create some divets on the bottom. Take like a center punch and a small hammer. Your basically displacing metal creating a tighter fit. I prefer not to peen the gun itself if it can be avoided.

I've never had this on a Kahr, they are usually very tight and hard to remove.

If your concerned or don't like the risk, go with option 3. Sending the slide alone is cheap and easy and shouldn't be a long turn around.

I see Greg beat me again. That's precisely what I was talking about and much more well put with visual aides to boot. Damn guy amazes me sometimes.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Guys,

Big thank-you for the advice.

Jim