Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new used K9

Default Just bought a new used K9

I've been looking for a metal framed Kahr for a while. I have a P9 and a CW9 but I never see the K, MK, or T series in my local shops. Well, I stopped in to a local hardware store/gun shop that gets a lot of used guns. Living in a retiree area is good for that. Lo and behold, there it was. Sitting in the used case was a lonely K9. It appeared to be brand new---only sign of it ever being fired was a little brass rub on the breech face. It was obviously never carried. No scratches, no dings, even the rubber grips looked like new. Shop was asking $499 firm. I didn't have the cash on me and hate to use credit cards for gun purchases, so I left to return another day.

I came back later in the week and traded my 2nd Generation Glock 30 for it. I had to pony up an additional $150, but I'm OK with that since I never really used the G30 anyway. The K9 came with one magazine and no case, but that's also OK because I have a few P9 mags AND a for my P9 before I put a CT Laserguard on it. No manual, of course, but those are $5 from Kahr.

I haven't fired it yet, but I field stripped it and it's absolutely pristine. There isn't even any wear on the mag follower. Serial number indicates it was made in 1997. Looks absolutely like brand new.

First impressions upon cleaning and doing a bit of polishing? The build quality is top notch. There are no evident tool marks anywhere. The slide to frame fit is as tight as some custom 1911s I've seen. The trigger pull is even better than the P9, and I hold that as the standard for DAO pistols. Disassembly was different than the P9 but some nice folks on FB helped me figure that out.

I will eventually buy the wood grips from Kahr. Any input on the merits of checkered vs smooth?

I also need a holster. I would like a nice leather holster for this one---it's too nice for Kydex. Will a K9 fit a P9 or CW9 holster?

Hi MMyers - Saw your FB post. Glad you got the takedown thing figured out.

With a mfg date of 1997, doesn't your K9 have the rubber grips, and not hard nylon? Those rubber grips are pretty desireable....

As for the wood grips:

Smooth ones are easier on skin if carried IWB with a t-shirt untucked.
    Checkered grips give a bit better grip in hand.
    They both look good.....

If you'd like a really nice leather holster, check out the Mitch Rosen holsters on Kahr's website. They're beautiful, and fit perfectly.

If they're in stock, they ship really quick, too. Beats waiting weeks and weeks to have one custom made.

Attached Images Attached Images

I like checkered unless the front strap is checkered or stippled.
    If the handles hand up on clothing you can easily take some fine sandpaper and just knock off the top of the points in the checkering.
    This will still provide a good solid grip but won't hang up on clothing.

When I checker I usually don't bring the diamonds to a full point , just almost and leave the slightly flat on top.

The rubber grips are indeed coveted by many. They feel really good.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    I will eventually buy the wood grips from Kahr. Any input on the merits of checkered vs smooth?

I also need a holster. I would like a nice leather holster for this one---it's too nice for Kydex. Will a K9 fit a P9 or CW9 holster?
    Congrats on the K9

As to grips, you've already gotten good advice from Bawanna and Ed M, but I would like to add that you might want to give Lakeline LLC 's G-10 grips a look.

My K9 and CW9 fit interchangeably in the leather holsters I have for them. Tightly molded Kydex might be a different story.
    I have a Mitch Rosen similar to the one Ed M posted and really like it.
    I also have a couple of Winthrop leather holsters that I like. They are not quite a nice as the Mitch Rosen, but very close. They are also 15% off right now with free shipping.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Another congrats on the trade. My CW40 and K40 both fit the same Mitch Rosen holster to perfection. Would think the same would apply to the 9's.

Thanks, everyone. Mine does indeed have the rubber grips. Does Kahr no longer ship the K9 with them?

The new grips are hard nylon (plastic). Not as good as the old rubber ones for grip.

I don't know exactly when Kahr changed them, but I believe it was quite a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    The new grips are hard nylon (plastic). Not as good as the old rubber ones for grip.

I don't know exactly when Kahr changed them, but I believe it was quite a few years back.
    I think you are talking about the MK9. I thought the K9s were still soft rubber and their website stills says same. I bought my K9 new last year and it had soft rubber...then again, it was old stock from 2013 I believe.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I think you are talking about the MK9. I thought the K9s were still soft rubber and their website stills says same. I bought my K9 new last year and it had soft rubber...then again, it was old stock from 2013 I believe.
    I agree with this mostly though I don't think Kahr ever used rubber. It's described as a soft polymer which is neither rubber nor plastic. The first polymer grips I can recall came from a company named Farrer, which was bought many years ago by Hogue, who continues to make them to this day.

Do you notice the difference in the trigger of the K9 from your newer poly framed Kahrs? Some people do, some don't.

Is your "new" Kahr the original "slab sided" frame style or the contoured style? The change was made about the time yours was made I believe.

Slab side frame style. This one is a '96. Has the smooth grips which I prefer. Classic look maybe the reason. No big reason other than personal preference. I like the CT laser grips too.

I agree on the Mitch Rosen holster as being excellent. Mine is a different model with snap loops.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I agree with this mostly though I don't think Kahr ever used rubber. It's described as a soft polymer which is neither rubber nor plastic. The first polymer grips I can recall came from a company named Farrer, which was bought many years ago by Hogue, who continues to make them to this day.

Do you notice the difference in the trigger of the K9 from your newer poly framed Kahrs? Some people do, some don't.

Is your "new" Kahr the original "slab sided" frame style or the contoured style? The change was made about the time yours was made I believe.

Slab side frame style. This one is a '96. Has the smooth grips which I prefer. Classic look maybe the reason. No big reason other than personal preference. I like the CT laser grips too.
    You're correct, polymer vs rubber. As we know the Kahr trigger is smooth, but the K9 is 'super' smooth! Although I have smooth wood grips for mine, I usually keep the polymer on for range shooting. Ha! I guess I have the contoured style (I learn something new every day!). Given the other options I have, the P938 being the primary EDC, I've never carried the K9.....not yet anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm