CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Carry Insurance?

When researching this topic, I consulted with someone I trust (my Sister). She's an attorney, but can't represent me in every situation I may need an attorney. She can and has had someone in her law firm do so for me at a greatly reduced rate (or free).

Two key points kept rising to the forefront in my decision of which "coverage" to get.

1 - Experience. Does your lawyer specialize in gun law cases?
    2 - Can you get a hold of your lawyer at 3AM on a weekend?

I chose based primarily on those two points. I like the idea of being able to make ONE phone call, and having an experienced attorney show up ASAP, with a check for bail if needed.
    What you say can and will be used against you in court. It's important to have a lawyer at your side ASAP.

No one wants to be involved in a situation where you have to defend yourself or others, but preparing crucial details of the aftermath beforehand gives some peace of mind, and is just sound logic.

Of course, how you do this is entirely up to you, but having a plan in place is better than having nothing. Knowing your local gun laws or those where you travel to is just common sense.

For about $150 per year, it's worth having the answers to these questions to me. I know what it costs, I know what it provides, and I know that ONE phone call is all it takes to get things moving in the right direction at a time where one is going through a highly stressful and traumatic life changing event. Pulling the trigger is just the first step in defending your life.

BE PREPARED.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    True it is not real insurance. Kind of like the extended warranty racket. These folks couldn't care less about your well being. If they weren't making big money on this sort of thing they wouldn't be in the business. Still undecided. I think the best idea is becoming good buddies with a good? lawyer.
    A good idea................I got to thinking.................I've never heard of a reverse lawsuit, in the news or on paper. That is, if I must use my firearm in self defense, and the person lives, they will probably try to sue me in civil court. If they die, their siblings will probably sue me in civil court ie. parents. In this situation, I believe I would also open a civil suit against this person, for putting me in that position or circumstance in the first place, and forcing me to do something that I didn't want to do, to save my own life. I've never heard of this happening. Doesn't mean it hasn't. Might be a reason??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    When researching this topic, I consulted with someone I trust (my Sister). She's an attorney, but can't represent me in every situation I may need an attorney. She can and has had someone in her law firm do so for me at a greatly reduced rate (or free).

Two key points kept rising to the forefront in my decision of which "coverage" to get.

I chose based primarily on those two points. I like the idea of being able to make ONE phone call, and having an experienced attorney show up ASAP, with a check for bail if needed.
    What you say can and will be used against you in court. It's important to have a lawyer at your side ASAP.

No one wants to be involved in a situation where you have to defend yourself or others, but preparing crucial details of the aftermath beforehand gives some peace of mind, and is just sound logic.

Of course, how you do this is entirely up to you, but having a plan in place is better than having nothing. Knowing your local gun laws or those where you travel to is just common sense.

For about $150 per year, it's worth having the answers to these questions to me. I know what it costs, I know what it provides, and I know that ONE phone call is all it takes to get things moving in the right direction at a time where one is going through a highly stressful and traumatic life changing event. Pulling the trigger is just the first step in defending your life.

BE PREPARED.
    Everything you say makes perfect sense........................How will you know if you really can get a hold of an attorney with one phone call at 3 am on a weekend, unless you really have to make the call?????? I'd need a bit more to go on myself...............in a perfect world.

Honestly, I hope I never have to find out.

At the seminar I went to, they stressed over and over that when you call their 1-800 emergency number, an experienced gun law attorney will answer. I never called 911 to "test it", but I sure hope that works too.

"Please press 1 for English....." I think I'd vomit.

On the membership card they give you, they also have a non-emergency # listed. I did call that once with a question on travelling out of state, and they were awesome.

Light Bulb Go to court without a good lawyer and kiss your ars goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Ya, NRA is promoting this but do any of you actually have any protection policy? Most of them are very expensive but....

A co-worker who has been to a number of training classes is a real believer of these guys who have a reasonably priced offering.
    Tom Gresham of Guntalk radio and TV has been a promoter and member long before they became a sponsor of his show. They are a fund tied in with a host of lawyers and expert witnesses. They have an impressive list to show off.

In today's world something like this is starting to make sense to me.

What say you?

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/defensefund
    This particular one is one of the highest rated.
    Mas Ayoob is affiliated with it.
    $135 for one year didn't seem extreme to me.
    I signed up a few days ago

Like others have stated.
    We all hate lawyers - until we need to appear in court.
    Then you damn well better have a good one.
    This is America and the best lawyer wins.
    That's just the way it is...

I remember like threads years ago so I will discontinue my well known rant - LOL!

Why do they bury lawyers 10' deep instead of 6' deep?

Because deep down, they're good people too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post

BE PREPARED.
    agreed 110% however, u don't know you will get through at 3 a.m and how experienced is that attorney you get? Have we heard of ONE case where these plans have stepped in? One? Face it, we are buying hope. Some plans seem more hopeful than others. Other option....don't carry. I went deep down this rabbit hole regarding liability and the second threat to your life after you pull. Bawanna, LZ and a few others here and at home straightened me out.
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    There's lawyers involved. They decide if your case has merit. Count me out.

It's like insurance, they offer the moon and when you file a claim they have lawyers trying to figure out a way not to pay.

Do away with lawyers and you wouldn't need this in the first place.

Sorry O'Dell, but lawyers just are not my thing.
    Not a problem, Bawanna. I quit the trade over 20 years ago, mainly because I feel the same way you do about the current condition of the law business.

Here's a good video on how to be better prepared if you are involved in a self defense shooting:

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    agreed 110% however, u don't know you will get through at 3 a.m and how experienced is that attorney you get? Have we heard of ONE case where these plans have stepped in? One? Face it, we are buying hope. Some plans seem more hopeful than others. Other option....don't carry. I went deep down this rabbit hole regarding liability and the second threat to your life after you pull. Bawanna, LZ and a few others here and at home straightened me out.
    I have found if you call any of these guys they will give you actual cases where they have stepped in and done their job. I think each individual has to assess their comfort level and costs. I do know I will have some sort of protection and it may be hope but before I buy I will have the names of attorneys in my area and my neighbor who owns a law firm will fill me in on their expertise. I have covered this with my neighbor and he tells me you need a lawyer that specializes in gun defense.
    The research goes on.
    "Never pet a burning dog"