Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Shield 40 vs. Taurus PT740 SLIM (vs. CM40)

Default Shield 40 vs. Taurus PT740 SLIM (vs. CM40)

If you are like me, you like compact handguns. I especially like accurate compact handguns.

I've been hearing lately that the 40S&W cartridge has fallen out of favor in the market. The recent pricing on the S&W Shield (and the rebates) support this theory.

Somehow I ended up with a new Shield 40 in my hands for a range trip today. I also had a used Taurus PT740 Slim with me at the range for comparison.

Here is my impression after 100 rounds through each:
    Size/Weight: These two are nearly the same.
    Accuracy: Advantage S&W Shield 40.
    Function: Advantage S&W Shield 40
    Sights: Advantage Taurus PT140 Slim - fully adjustable.
    Trigger: Advantage S&W Shield 40
    Magazines: Advantage Taurus PT140 Slim

Accuracy details:
    S&W Shield 40: The group size at 25 yards was quite good. The only problem was that the group was high and left with Federal maroon box range ammo. A sight adjustment may be needed... or maybe not. Later groups with WW White Box were lower and closer to point of aim. This may be a break-in issue - the slide is quite loose on the frame but seems to go into battery consistently.
    Taurus 740 Slim: Group sizes are a bit larger. There is a flier to the left every group, sometimes two, using my standard 165 gr. reload.

Function Details:
    S&W Shield 40: one FTF at round 77. Easily cleared and no further failures.
    Taurus 740 Slim: Using both Federal maroon box and WW white box range ammo I am getting a FTE. I thought it may be the extractor so I oiled it up the extractor. No change, except I got oil spots on my shooting glasses. Oddly there were no failures using reloads in WW nickle plated cases. I think the chamber may be a little rough, and this may be why this particular example was extremely inexpensive used.

Sights:
    S&W Shield 40: Drift adjustable, three dot, about the same sight picture as the Slim.
    Taurus 740 Slim: Fully Adjustable, three dot, about the same sight picture as the Shield.

Trigger:
    S&W Shield 40: Has the articulated S&W safety trigger. Dry firing the trigger seems quite comfortable, with about half the weight of the Slim. In actual use it tends to bite the trigger finger a little.
    Taurus 740 Slim: Has the blade safety trigger. This is a pretty uncomfortable trigger, heavy, and has a short pull on the first try. Second strike is longer.

Magazines:
    S&W Shield 40: The follower is offset to put the bottom round to one side once in the lower part of the magazine. The springs are very stiff. This makes loading the first round difficult. The 6 round magazine has not accepted round #6 yet, but perhaps will once the spring breaks in a little it will. The 7 round magazine is also difficult to load round 1 and quite stiff, but all 7 will go into the magazine.
    Taurus 740 Slim: Single column magazine is easy to load. Spring is adequate, not too stiff.

The Slim had previously been the range with the CM40.
    Size/Weight: Advantage CM40
    Accuracy: Advantage CM40
    Function: Advantage Taurus PT140 Slim
    Sights: Advantage Taurus PT140 Slim - fully adjustable.
    Trigger: Advantage CM40
    Magazines: Advantage Taurus PT140 Slim

Size/weight: The CM40 is smaller.

Accuracy: The CM40 is easily more accurate despite the shorter sight radius.

Function:
    CM40: Some instances of the slide lock engaging with rounds in the magazine. It looks like there is an issue with the magazine release spring.
    Taurus PT140 Slim: No failures with reloads in WW nickle plated cases.

Sights: Taurus PT140 Slim only for adjustability, the CM40 sights are installed for good shot placement at 25 and 50 yards.

Trigger: We all know the Khar trigger. The Taurus PT140 Slim blade safety trigger is heavy and hurts my trigger finger every shot.

Magazines: Taurus PT140 Slim only because it holds one extra round.

The bottom line:
    Taurus PT140 Slim: was dirt cheap used, and works well enough for the money.
    S&W Shield 40: new prices are attractive currently, especially considering the rebate. These are a real bargain right now. Fastest follow-up shots with this one.
    Kahr CM40: Favorite of the bunch. Best accuracy and trigger. Recoil is rather "interesting", but manageable.

Just one opinion.

Are getting a 40?
    "Never pet a burning dog"

It's alright with me...............I own 2 compact .40's. More guns for us, more ammo for us. I have an M&P .40C that shoots a bit high, but that's probably because of the trigger. I did have to adjust the sights from the factory. They were off and it did bring the shots down a bit. Have owned many .40's............none of them outshot my HK compact........................................... ........now is definitely the time to purchase an M&P or a Shield. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Are getting a 40?
    At these prices, how could you not get a 40?

I'm wondering when the Palmetto State Armory pricing will trickle down to the local stores.

The deals are deffinately out there now. Ahlman's right now has a special on new AR15 DPMS Oracle with quad rail for $399
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Well, I have no issues with my S&W Shield in .40!