Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baby desert eagle III shoots low at 10 yds

Default New baby desert eagle III shoots low at 10 yds

Hi folks, I didn't realize there was a sub forum for Baby desert eagles so I posted this in the wrong forum earlier. I just got a Baby Desert eagle III. It shoots consistently low at 10yds. I took it back where I bought it at Tommy Gun warehouse which is also the Kahr corporate headquarters. Their gunsmith checked it and test fired it and agreed that it did shoot low as I had described. They offered me different one which I asked the gunsmith to test before I accepted it and it shot exactly the same. He said it must be sighted in for 25yds because was dead on at that range. I don't understand how that could be. How could it be low 5 inches low at 10yds and dead on at 25yds? They said they must all shoot the same way. Has anyone else experienced this with a new baby eagle III? If you have do you have any suggestions what to do about it? They said they would look into getting a higher adjustable rear sight which I guess would be ok, but none of my other guns have ever shot like this. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but if you could clue me in that would be great. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know what the sights are like on those but shortening the front sight might be easier and sometimes preferable to putting on a taller rear sight.

Cool that you get to visit the shop live and in person. I'd love to be able to do that myself.

Keep us posted on how this shakes out. We don't have a lot of baby eagles amongst us, certainly a few but not a lot.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I don't know what the sights are like on those but shortening the front sight might be easier and sometimes preferable to putting on a taller rear sight.

Cool that you get to visit the shop live and in person. I'd love to be able to do that myself.
    Thanks for your response. The store/factory/headquarters is about an hour from my house. I had never been there before and I have never owned a kahr gun before. I think you might enjoy hearing about my experience there. When I went in I was met by an Asian man at the counter. He was very soft spoken, friendly and helpful. I looked at a number of guns there which he patiently explained the ins and outs of each one. No pressure, no hurry. We also talked about how bears were getting to be a nuisance in our area and some other small talk. I finally decided on the Baby desert eagle. Then I asked him about trading a Glock that I had brought along, but had left in the truck. He asked me what model and what condition it was in and taking my word for it without seeing it he made me a very generous offer. He said "we've got to get you out of that Glock!" I assumed he was the head salesman or the manager of the store because he did not consult with anyone else. Of course I was thrilled with the generous trade in which was far more than I would have expected. I went out to get the Glock and on the way back I asked my wife who had been sitting in their coffee/snack area to come back and take a look. In the middle of the store is a beautiful taxidermy display of a large lion fighting a leopard over a antelope kill. On the walls around the store were head mounts of many other African big game and some deer mounts from Pennsylvania. My wife started asking questions about it where the lion was taken and so forth and eventually asked who shot it. The salesman said he did while he was on safari in Africa. As we continued talking he revealed that he had shot almost all of the animals that were on display. At this time it occurred to me that Kahr must pay their salesmen very well if he could afford trips like that! I asked him if he was the sales manager and he said no he was not. He said he was the owner. I said, Oh the owner of this store? He said no, he was the owner of the company. My extremely polite and gracious salesman was Justin Moon, the founder and owner Of Kahr Arms and designer of the Kahr pistols! He said he just drops in once in awhile to help out. If my wife had not come over and started asking questions I would never had known who he was. Never did he let on that he was anymore than a clerk at the store. I would have walked out thinking I should write a letter to the Kahr company letting them know how pleased I was with their sales clerk and how personable and helpful he was. So turns out I bought my baby eagle directly from the owner of Kahr Arms! I stopped again at the store the other day. Mr. Moon was not there but in talking to the sales people there I remarked about how sociable, friendly and polite he had been. They said he always is.

That's worth the price of admission all by itself. I would probably recognize him if I saw him, seen enough pictures of him.

I hope to make SHOT or something one of these years and meet him and a few of the other folks from Kahr.

Years ago in my reckless youth and when I could hear, I had to call Ruger about a Blackhawk I blew up. My fault.

Gentle answered the phone, something like Sturm Ruger this is Bill. For some reason I jokingly asked Bill Ruger? He said yes how can I help you?
    Ended up talking for half an hour. Said he likes to visit different parts of the company and stay involved.

He told me to send my gun to him personally. They replaced the cylinder bulged from an overload and reblued the whole gun, sent it back in a new factory box like brand new. Lost all it's character but I thought it was damn nice of them to do that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Up your bullet wt.
    More wt. = higher impact.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

INcreasing bullet weight isn't practical. I'm shooting a 45, there's no reason a 230gr bullet would hit low at 10 yds. I agree the pistol shoots great but the sights are an issue. Still trying to find an adj sight that fits. I've found 2 different ones but they are too high causing high hits of 5" or more. The problem with the gun is the cutout on the slide...it needs to be longer. When I mount an adj sight, the sight comes down until it contacts the slide then it's stuck. So I need a stubbier rear sight.

I've been in contact with the company, Magnum research, They said they have had a few complaints like mine. They said they have a lower front sight that if you use the combat sight picture with it will solve the problem. Tommy gun warehouse where I bought the gun said they will get one and install it for me. The existing front sight is already so low that the dot almost touches the slide it's hard to see how it could be any lower, but they said it is. They also said they don't know of any adjustable rear sight available for the gun. They said that Metpro company makes a non adjustable sight which would fit the baby eagle II and would also work on the III, but I've seen comments online which says they won't fit so I don't know who to believe. The new lower sight should arrive next week I'll let you know how it works out. In the meantime if anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears. Hard to believe that these guns shipped with this problem evidently it's only a few because I've only seen a couple of people mentioning it. I'd like to hear from folks with this gun that are not having any shooting low problem.

Bugbottle,
    The last two posts in the following thread might be of interest to you: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=87136.0
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Bugbottle,
    The last two posts in the following thread might be of interest to you: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=87136.0
    Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks this is great! I will order one of these and give it a try. This adjustable rear sight sounds like it's just what I need. Like I said before I have my doubts about the lower front sight from Magnum research. Also I don't care for the combat sight picture they said I would have to use and this rear site is inexpensive too. Here's the link to it if anyone else is interested. (http://www.crosman.com/lpa-mim-rear-sight). I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

I got the Crosman rear sight. It shot high set as low as it could go because the sight was bottomed out on the top of the slide so so I had to grind down the bottom of the sight just a little with a dremel to get clearance to lower it further other than that it fit perfectly. only took a little bit to get it to the next click down and now it shoots great using the 6 o'clock sight picture. If anyone is interested in this sight you can find it here: http://www.crosman.com/lpa-mim-rear-sight it's made by LPA the same company that makes the stock sight on the baby eagle III. Thanks for the all the help folks