CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW380 doesn't like Personal Defense Ammo

Default CW380 doesn't like Personal Defense Ammo

My CW380 is nearly a year old and I'm close to shooting a 1000 rounds through it. Because of initial problems and forum member suggestions, I've replaced the factory striker and recoil spring with Lakeline ones, and Magguts in all 3 of my 6 round factory mags. A trip back to Kahr and the Magguts solved most of my failure to feed problems. I've tried a dozen quality ammo brands and stayed away from reloads and cheaper ammo. My experience at the local indoor range yesterday was typical: Mag1- last round of Hornady Critical Defense didn't feed. Mag2-all 8 Critical Defense fired, but slide failed to lock open on last round. Mag3-all CD fired perfectly. Mag4-Barnes TACXPD-jammed after first round, rounds 2-8 fired. Mag5-8 rounds of Barnes, perfect. Mag6-7th round of Barnes didn't fire (light primer strike). Obviously, the gun is now filthy, but continued with 6 more full mags, and 2 single rounds firing perfectly all 50 Remington UMC round nose target rounds. I'm totally comfortable with the reliability of this .380 with most round and flat nosed ammo I've tried, but not at all with any quality self defense rounds I've tried, especially hollow point FMJ. That's why I am so disappointed with Hornady Critical Defense rounds that have gotten such rave reviews with other CW380 owners. I'd be tempted to stick with ball ammo for reliability alone if not for the over penetration and low expansion stopping power issues I've read so much about. Any suggestions from you with similar experiences?

I've had good luck with Hornady XTP and Freedom Munitions XTP in my CW380. I haven't tried Critical Defense due to the success of the XTP but maybe I should
    CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

Critical Defense was the only ammo, HP or FMJ that ran in my CW380.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

But it's "only" a 380...

Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr 38 Special +P..........1010 fps.........290 ft lbs energy

Underwood Xtreme Defender 65 gr 380 +P..........1400 fps.........283 ft lbs energy

As mentioned Critical Defense is one of the few rounds you can actually count on to work in a .380 Kahr. Your pistol might be having issues with the extractor, or else the feed ramp needs polishing or the breakover angle taken care of.

What is the breakover angle?

My CW380 runs perfect on Federal Premium HST. I'd try a little work on your extractor. One thread on here suggest shortening the pin that pushes against the extractor spring .015. Anothe thread suggests rounding the bottom corner of the extractor a bit. I did both of these even though I didn't have any problems and I also polished the under and outer faces of the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by dhenze View Post
    My CW380 is nearly a year old and I'm close to shooting a 1000 rounds through it. Because of initial problems and forum member suggestions, I've replaced the factory striker and recoil spring with Lakeline ones, and Magguts in all 3 of my 6 round factory mags. A trip back to Kahr and the Magguts solved most of my failure to feed problems. I've tried a dozen quality ammo brands and stayed away from reloads and cheaper ammo. My experience at the local indoor range yesterday was typical: Mag1- last round of Hornady Critical Defense didn't feed. Mag2-all 8 Critical Defense fired, but slide failed to lock open on last round. Mag3-all CD fired perfectly.
    Easy fix and still able to use the Hornady Critical Defense is to load the first round of the magazine with FMJ - then load the remaining rounds ontop of the FMJ with Critical Defense.

2nd option would be to try another magazine and/or change the recoil spring assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by dhenze View Post
    What is the breakover angle?
    I'm referring to the top edge of the feed ramp where it meets the chamber. As the cartridge makes it up the ramp and then enters the chamber, if that top edge is too sharp the case can dig in and stop. Therefore it needs to be polished slightly, but not too much or else you'll remove too much metal and reduce support for the case head. You only want to eliminate the sharp edge.

I checked out several posts regarding the various modifications to the CW380 extractor. They seemed fairly straight forward until I removed my extractor, and realized how small it actually is. The first thing I'll need to do is buy some super high powered reading glasses. I'd planned on using my Dremel to do the grinding, but don't think there are any bits small enough. Another post mentioned that Kahr had recently modified the 380 extractor, so I was hoping my problems might be solved. I just called the Kahr service dept, and the rep said that there has been no such modifications to the extractor, so I guess I'm back to the high powered glasses and looking for some very small files.