CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CW380 doesn't like Personal Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by dhenze View Post
    I just called the Kahr service dept, and the rep said that there has been no such modifications to the extractor...
    My experience with gun manufacturers (and many other companies for that matter) is that the service department is often completely clueless about what goes on in production. Sometimes they're simply clueless all on their own. Once I called Colt to ask what the difference was between two extractor SKUs they had for their 1911s, and I was told one was specifically for the "O" frame (which all Colt 1911s are) and one was for the Government Model. In other words the idiot had absolutely no idea and was just reading from a sheet.

I've been using +P ammo with the Speer 90-gr Gold Dot since I got my P380 back in 2010. I've fired several hundred or more of those with no problem. The P380 is very tight and gets dirty quickly at the range. After addressing the possible extractor problem, keep the feed ramp clean at the range.

I use these and they do have a kick:

380 ACP +P 90 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point

5.00 out of 5 based on 1 customer rating
    (1 customer review &nbsp

Please Note: Sold in Boxes Of 20 $15.50

In stock

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/380-a...-hollow-point/

Technical Information:

• Caliber:380 ACP
    • Bullet Weight: 90 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point
    • Case Type Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information:

• Muzzle Velocity:1200 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 288 ft. lbs.

My picture is with the Buffalo Bore, but they stopped using the 90-gr GD a long time ago and I switched to Underwood... used to be cheaper and under $30 a box for 50. I believe they have a slightly higher velocity than the BB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Wyntrout,

I just read where Ed M recommended the same Underwood brand but with Hornady's XTP vs. your Speer Bonded JHP bullet. I'm going to order a couple boxes of each and see what happens. If anyone can tie down the answer to my question about the "new CW380" extractor, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to order a replacement or two and find out they're the same as the one I have.

It's weird... the halting positioning of the guide rod. A piece of the polymer in the recoil assembly "tray" maybe grabbing things? Sometimes there's a bit of battery on the sides in there and a buildup happens.

The +P isn't fun to shoot, but gives you a pretty good defensive load... more than up to +P snubby .38's.

Good luck.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Wyntrout,

I just read where Ed M recommended the same Underwood brand but with Hornady's XTP vs. your Speer Bonded JHP bullet.
    Actually, I just put a link in a post for Underwood's XTP loading, but my preferred self defense round is Underwood Xtreme Defender +P.

It's a similar round to their Xtreme Penetrator bullet, but does more damage with a little less penetration.

Nasty little bullet.....

I I just called the Kahr service dept, and the rep said that there has been no such modifications to the extractor, so I guess I'm back to the high powered glasses and looking for some very small files.
    I emailed Jay at Kahr a few weeks ago now and he confirmed the extractor has been updated. Jay is generally considered the key guy in Karh's service so I tend to believe it has been updated. If you're going to do anything, just take a few thousandths off the back pin of the extractor chain....the pin you push down to remove the back plate.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I emailed Jay at Kahr a few weeks ago now and he confirmed the extractor has been updated. Jay is generally considered the key guy in Karh's service so I tend to believe it has been updated. If you're going to do anything, just take a few thousandths off the back pin of the extractor chain....the pin you push down to remove the back plate.
    I ordered an extractor from Kahr, and it just arrived. I'd hoped the straight, front edge would have been rounded off a bit as suggested in a previous video, but it's still straight across the whole surface. I've done some filing on my current extractor, but haven't tested enough to report reliable results. I'll post again when I get to the range and see if one performs better than the other.

Youtube and the ballistic ammo tests is your friend.