Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions

Default Decisions, decisions

So I'm at my favorite local money pit, looking at a nice used pistol, when they slide an equally nice revolver in front of me. I'm liking both quite a bit and closer inspection does nothing to lessen my enthusiasm for either. They are from different eras, decades apart. One is plastic and steel, the other is of steel and wood. One has some custom work, the other is box stock.
    I don't need either, but need doesn't have anything to do with it. I want one...or the other...but can't decide which. They are not consignment guns, so I ask if I can shoot them and, with an affirmative answer, we head over to the range. 5 rounds apiece, off hand at 10 yards, whichever I shoot the best, I'll buy. I know it's not a scientific process, but it will have to do. It's also damn close, but I put what I feel is the winner on lay-a-way and head home.
    I'm pretty content with my choice, but while putting the paper work away, I look the "test" target over once more and realize that doing so just cost me some extra money. Both guns just shoot too darn nice for me and together cost only 2/3 of what a new HK45 would cost me (and I have been looking at one of those).
    That means I'm back the next day laying the plastic down for both guns. Not my original plan (did I even have a plan?), but I'm a happy camper
    Now to some photos
    Here's the "test" target:

The winner, a 1974 vintage, 4" Ruger Speed Six in .38 Spl.

The runner up, a Springfield Armory XD-45ACP Tactical (with custom trigger)

Yep, when in doubt, buy'em both

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Well done Greg. Happy new gun(s) to you. Look great. That speed six looks mint.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nice buy on both. I have the XD-45 service model and XDm compact. Both fit my hand just perfect and shoot way better for me than they should. They are tack drivers. The wife took over the service model right after I bought it so I caught the XDm Compact on deep discount ($185 off regular price, whaa hoo!) with the gear package and had to bring it home.

That Ruger there is beautiful too. Congratulations.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Lovin' both. I own an XDm in .45 and it is a very underrated firearm. The Ruger speaks for itself. Enjoy.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

The speed/service/security 6 has always been one of my faves............................................. ................................

I can imagine the conundrum. Those are both great guns, so you solved the issue with a win.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Well done Greg. Happy new gun(s) to you. Look great. That speed six looks mint.
    Thanks Bawanna! The Speed Six is in great shape. It's somewhat of an oddity being in the "150" prefix serial number range, but having the "high back" frame.
    "Low back 150 prefix on the left and a 151 standard frame on the right:
    " Photo from here: http://pistoltalk.org/index.php?topic=45.0

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Nice buy on both. I have the XD-45 service model and XDm compact. Both fit my hand just perfect and shoot way better for me than they should. They are tack drivers. The wife took over the service model right after I bought it so I caught the XDm Compact on deep discount ($185 off regular price, whaa hoo!) with the gear package and had to bring it home.

That Ruger there is beautiful too. Congratulations.
    Thanks ygtszhj! I'm thinking this Tactical will prove itself a tack driver as well (if I can do my part ).

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Lovin' both. I own an XDm in .45 and it is a very underrated firearm. The Ruger speaks for itself. Enjoy.
    Thanks 340pd! I've held full size, 45 caliber, XD pistols in the past and liked how they felt, just never pulled the trigger on one. I almost traded my full size 45 USP in for one some time ago, probably should have taken it with me when I went back for the Tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    The speed/service/security 6 has always been one of my faves............................................. ................................
    I'm with you bro. Though not quite the same, I think with it's 4" barrel this one will scratch the itch I've had for a Service Six.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I can imagine the conundrum. Those are both great guns, so you solved the issue with a win.
    Thanks Al! I am pretty pleased with how it worked out

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Congratulations! I really liked the Tactical... good shooter, but humongous. It became redundant when I got a G-21 SF, and I sold it. I can't afford to "collect" guns.

I had a 6" SS Security Six that I sold after finally buying an S&W 66... 6"... regretted that decision... back in the 70's.
    Last edited by wyntrout; 06-16-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

The Ruger Six Series are among the best wheelguns ever produced in America. Bought this Service Six .357 new in 1975. Gave it to one of my sons 20 years ago - it is as soldid as ever and shoots great. the frame has turned that odd purplish color as some old revolvers do (Ruger and S&W that I know of personally).

I'd love to have a stainless Speed Six with the shorter barrel.

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Like this???????????????????????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images