CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P380 - any must have aftermarket parts?

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    The OEM striker is another flawed design, for not only is it breakage-prone but the foot of the striker bumps into the top round in the magazine causing failures to fully chamber. The Lakeline unit solves both of these issues.
    Can you explain in more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I see that the guide rod is some form of metal of alloy steel etc. I do not see why it should not hold up. Not like polymer guides in some other guns. Interesting to hear your comment about the striker. Guess that makes sense to here. How about the striker spring guide, is that a Plastic or metal?
    There is no striker spring guide in a Kahr .380. The striker rides directly inside the channel in the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Can you explain in more detail?
    Lakeine's website explains it best. The foot of the OEM striker will lightly bump the top round in the magazine when the gun is fired, pushing it forward slightly. This cushions the striker's impact and can contribute to light strikes, plus pushing the top round forward which can exacerbate feeding issues on the next shot. The Lakeline striker, besides having a thicker head that is less prone to breakage also has slightly redesigned geometry at the foot so that it doesn't contact the top round as much, lessening the issue.

While I'm awaiting the arrival of my P380, I've ordered the Lakeline product. It will be installed before the gun is fired for the first time.

Dsk...I think you misunderstood king rats question about the striker spring guide. I think he's referring to the plastic piece upon which the striker spring is placed....and which goes 'flying' if you're not careful.😀 Anyway king rat, it's plastic.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Whoops, I had in my mind the type of setup used in the Taurus PT-111, which is plastic and for which Lakeline sells a steel replacement. Yes the striker spring guide rod in a Kahr is plastic, and yes it is easily lost when you disassemble the slide. It is also easily chewed up when you're cussing and fussing as you try to use a screwdriver to retract it during disassembly. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in the back of the slide cover so that I can use a 1/16" punch to retract the guide rod, making disassembly a lot easier. While I'd prefer it be made of metal the plastic unit seems to hold up fine as long as you don't damage it yourself like I had mentioned.

I called Kahr. They said there is no problem with their strikers and there is no need to replace them with an aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken43 View Post
    I called Kahr. They said there is no problem with their strikers and there is no need to replace them with an aftermarket.
    Did you expect them to say otherwise?

How many strikers have actually broken or gone bad?? Are these documented or is it just rumor on the internet??? When I was working I was the armorer for my Dept. We went to the Glock mod. 22. Right away I was reading numerous posts on Glock forums about Glock pistols malfunctioning and different parts breaking. In the eleven years I was the armorer I found one part in a Glock that was broken. It was the trigger spring and the reason it broke was because someone had put it in wrong. Even with the broken trigger spring the gun was functioning perfectly. So I do not take info. over the internet as being totally truthful. It may be correct and it may not. If I have a problem with my striker, I will put it on this forum immediately.

We've heard of a few on the 380's. Don't recall any on the others.

The 380's while still apparently not quite there 100% are very much improved from the early days when they were very problematic.

We not hear of them running just fine right out of the box much more often than before.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken43 View Post
    How many strikers have actually broken or gone bad?? Are these documented or is it just rumor on the internet???.
    i'm just one person but the striker on my cw380 broke once before I sold it. The striker on my P380 broke at least FOUR times before Lakeline developed their's.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm