Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen

Thread: PM45 issue, pleased with Kahr's service.

Default PM45 issue, pleased with Kahr's service.

I just acquired a used PM45 to accompany my PM9 in my ccw rotation. When I got to the range I discovered the issue where the top round in the magazine was getting pinched under the lower part of the slide stripper when a magazine is inserted with the slide locked back. This was avoidable if the round was not pushed fully in the mag. Well I attempted to resolve this myself by filing the stripper down enough for the round to clear it when the mag is inserted. On the second range outing. The problem appeared fixed. Except for some new issues. A few failure to reset the trigger and one failure to chamber a round on a follow up shot. I had already requested to send the pm45 to kahr before trying to fix it myself. Well this pistol is used with a manufacturing date of 2010. Well when I received a FedEx shipping label I was surprised. Well I decided to send it in to have it checked out. Figured I would take the hit for a new slide if I ruined it with my modification. Well I received a call from Kahr today. They have had it for 1 week. They asked me if I still wanted to add night sights that I had requested. When I asked about the issues, the tech advised that the slide, slide stop and follower was being replaced. As you can imagine, I was pleasantly surprised that it all was covered under warranty for a 7 year old pistol and second owner. Well I did get the nightsights. The pistol is on the way back as I write this thread and will start the breakin period for a almost new pistol soon. As you can tell, I'm very happy with kahr customer service. I would have to say I'm a loyal customer.
    Gene Barber (Retired Prattville PD)
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)
    Sig P320 (retired duty weapon)

Is your pm45 the original version or the longer slide? I have both and prefer the shorter slide. It's only .250 shorter but for some reason I like the feel better than the other.

It is the new version.
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)

Ok got off work late last night and my package was waiting at home. Thanks to my wife hanging around the house waiting for FedEx. Went out this morning with a box of Federal American Eagle. Shoot 44 AE, 3 Hydroshock and 3 Critical Defense. All 50 rounds of 45 ACP shot flawlessly. Very happy with the outcome. Thanks Kahr.
    In my first post, it all started when the top round in mag, when fully insert in the mag would get smashed under the stripper rail, under a locked back slide. I tried to file some metal away to allow round to insert in front of the stripper even when the round is fully insert in mag. I believe this caused more problems, FTF and failure to reset the trigger problems. As I said, Kahr replaced the slide and slide stop under warranty on a 7 year old pistol and my bad modification. Again, thanks Kahr.

Ok I noticed with the new slide, the top round still get smashed or pinned under the stripper when fully pushed in the mag. When loading the mag if I push down on the top round, it gives enough clearance for the mag to insert properly. I notice this new slide has a little more clearance and the round doesn't have to be push much further forward. So I won't do any mods to this slide, I learned my lesson the first time. I can live with this quirk. Just have to pre stage the top round. Wonder if this will change as the slide breaks in over time.
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)

That really shouldn't be happening. Is the stripper slightly beveled at the front as you tried to do on the first slide?
    The early ones were quite square and this caused the issue. Most now have the front of the stripper slightly beveled so the top round can slide up past it.

If you slingshot rather than use the slide lock as you were probably trained as an officer the slide will probably move back enough to pick up that top round.

Personally I'd bevel that stripper till the top rounds slides up the way it should.

Probably safest bet is to contact Kahr again and explain your finding, with pictures of the round under the stripper if possible.
    I don't think it will get better as the slide is resting against the slide lock, so recoil spring etc won't have any effect.

Lock the slide back and insert a mag and take a picture of that, post it here, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

This pic is with the round under the stripper. It doesn't seem to happen as much as the old slide. It usually slips into to place.
    Here is a pic in proper position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)

Here is a pic of the stripper. Looks pretty square.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)

It looks very square to me. I'd be taking a file to the lower edge of that stripper and just bevel it a bit so that when you lock the slide back and insert a magazine the round goes right up where it belongs.
    Should be a picture around here of what it should look like.
    I'll be back.

See post # 4 in this thread. Greg did a bang up job on this thread addressing several possible issues.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...light=stripper
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I believe The new slide has the issues worked out. As I stated the new slide has a little more cleance than the original. When inserting the loaded magazine in the pm45 with the slide locked back, as long as I insert the mag with a little force or slap on the bottom. The top round slips past the stripper and comes to rest in front. With the old mag the top round had to be staged All seems good now.
    Kahr PM9 (pocket carry)
    Kahr PM45 (OWB carry)