CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CT .45 jamming

Default Kahr CT .45 jamming

What's the typical break in period for a new Kahr CT 45?
    When I first shot mine, I had 4-5 ejection failures during my first 100 rounds.
    I just took my new Ruger LCP to the range with the same results.
    Ranger dude told me that Kahr & Ruger are cheap guns and jam a lot.
    But, I've been hearing that both are great guns and reliable.

Is my issue typical during the first 100 rounds?

Range dudes are notorious for their mouths moving faster than their brains can function.

Break in varies from run out of the box up to sometimes more than the 200 they recommend.

It may not even be a break in issue, might be under powered ammo or a faulty spring or extractor. Could be anything.

Sort of chaffes my backside when so called experts just generally bad mouth a brand or group of brands such as this case. They have little actual knowledge so they figure it must be junk.

Keep shooting, use good quality practice ammo and get back to us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Could also be a "Limp Wrist". It affects all gun models.

Shadow
    Tell us your specific ammo of use so far, with the CT45? You should be avoiding HPs until it's broken-in.
    The FMJ I chose in my almost new CT45 is the Remington UMC. I've probably shot that gun only 100 times so far. Never had a FTE or FTF yet.

The HP I purchased for it is the Hornady Critical Defense and PPU. May run a couple magazines of each brand on my next range trip. But first I'll shoot another 50-pk of Remington UMC FMJs.

Also, in relation to performance, with mine I use mostly light grease (Superlube) instead of gun oil. Only place I put oil is with the trigger moving parts and barrel lock. That oil is Lucas Red or Blue. Both are thicker than the normal Hoppes or RemOil. The blue Lucas is even thicker than the red, but still thin enough to be dispersed with the small oiler needle bottles.

Could replacing the stock springs with the Wolff springs have anything to do with it? Oh, sorry, that was concerning my Ruger LCP.
    Back to my Kahr.. I did an indoor range that only accepted brass. I only shot brass/ball. But again, I've put 100 rounds through either gun so far.
    I was wondering if I did Limp Wrist. Never was in issue in the past for me. Hell, my former Hi Points never jammed. But maybe I am limp wristing now.
    My dealer is sure it's the junk Ruger & Kahr and a Glock would solve my issues.

The CT 45 was born with Wolff springs. You don't mention what kind of brass ball ammo. Some brands are quite weak.
    Kahrs like much gusto especially at first. Many foolishly in some folks opinions shoot carry ammo at first with zero failures but it balks at ball.
    The carry ammo has more power and makes them run and a little more forgiving.

As for your dealer, I recommend a shrink evaluation.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Sorry, I meant that I replaced the stock Ruger springs on my LCP with Wolff springs. Wondering if I could have messed that up somehow.
    My Kahr jammed worse than my Ruger. First shot went off and very accurate, but the shell didn't eject. It jammed so bad, the range gun smith had to remove the slide to get to it.
    Sucked. After that, it ran better. They said the ramp was too dry and I needed to break it in. I had to buy a box of brass ball from them, but I don't recall what it was.
    I did have my own box of brass Monarch.

My ramp is dry, and I still work....................................I think they might be bustin your brass balls...............................

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlands View Post
    Sorry, I meant that I replaced the stock Ruger springs on my LCP with Wolff springs. Wondering if I could have messed that up somehow.
    My Kahr jammed worse than my Ruger. First shot went off and very accurate, but the shell didn't eject. It jammed so bad, the range gun smith had to remove the slide to get to it.
    Sucked. After that, it ran better. They said the ramp was too dry and I needed to break it in. I had to buy a box of brass ball from them, but I don't recall what it was.
    I did have my own box of brass Monarch.
    Please expound upon the jam that required the slide be removed to clear it. I'm having a hard time picturing in my mind a position where a, let's call it "normal", .45ACP case would require that.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Just a thought Did you do the cleaning as suggested in the sticky before shooting? My ct9 has about 300 rds through it with no problems at al.