Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: M1 Carbine Stock Finish

Default M1 Carbine Stock Finish

HI, I just acquired a new AO M1 Carbine. I've taken it to the range and I like it so far. It's a bit different than the one I had in Nam, a lot tighter.
    Anyway, this one has some blemishes in the finish on the stock. I"m wondering if anyone knows how the stock is finished. I would like to touch up the finish on this one.
    Thanks, larry.k

Often times it's best to go for a complete refinish rather than touch up especially when you don't know for sure what the original finish is. I've not seen one in person but I'm thinking it's an oil finish, it's probably Birch so if it's dark at all it's probably a blend of stain and linseed or Tung oil. Very difficult to match.

Birch is sometimes difficult to get an even stained finish, it often times wants to be blotchy, darker in the cross grain like at the pistol grip and such.

I just recently found some stain from Brownells that says it's specifically for Birch and soft woods. It works really well but it is quite dark. It does completely cover even with one coat and not blotchy at all. But again very dark.
    I'm not finished with the stock yet so the jury is still out, I want to see what it does when I put some oil over the stain.

Link some pictures if you can.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hmmmm. I'm kinda curious what sort of blemishes you need to fix. I have one and I'm not certain what AO used for the color but the finish is some sort of oil. Mine looked good but was a little dry so I simply rubbed in several coats of Balistol and it warmed right up. Linseed or Danish oils would probably work too?

Welcome.
    ​O|||||||O

A wood filler (not plastic wood) will greatly reduce blotchiness when staining. It fills in the end grain so that it does not absorbe as much stain. Get one made for staining, not filling holes.

I gave up trying to stain birchwood a long time ago. I just could never get it to accept a stain and the end result was always a blonde finish with dark patches here and there. My understanding is that the finishes used by the factories are sprayed on.

Chemical stripper and start with bare wood. I like a hand rubbed tung oil mixed with some boiled linseed oil myself.