Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally gave in to the 1911 bug

Default Finally gave in to the 1911 bug

It's a bit odd. The very first pistol I fired with my father was his full size Colt 1911. For the past many years the 1911 models never quite piqued my interest. Then about two years ago or so I saw some of the compact officer-sized pistols and they looked wholly new to me. I guess it's like trying oysters...the first time, meh, then your tastes change and then it becomes "Wow!". So...

Fast forward a couple weeks back and out of idle curiosity I came across Cabela's Gun Library, and saw a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 with a few small slide-stop scratches for a bit over $800. The night sights were bright and the pistol needed a good cleaning, but was in great shape, so I, er, pulled the trigger on it and now have one. So slim, and such intuitive controls. Given my familiarity with Kahrs, I was wondering how I'd react to the manual safety, but it feels very natural using it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    MK9 Elite 98 / K40 SS / PM9 / KIMBER ULTRA CDP II
    NRA EPL / Buckeye Firearms Assn.

My cousin has one of those, I've shot it and his is a sweet shooter, I have no doubt yours will be too.

The 1911 is very natural, the safety is exactly where it should be and it's a natural motion to work it.

I guess that's why they've tried to improve on it for 100 years plus and continue to fail. I always love them but I was kind of afraid of them, now I feel safe with them and Glocks scare me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Beautiful gun. I have her twin sister. I'm not a Kool-Aid guzzling 1911 fan, but some of them are fun to shoot.

Have a friend that cracked the frame on his twice!
    Did not change out the recoil spring at the suggested round count. Hammered the frame to death. Per Kimber the recoil springs really drop off in resistance at a certain round count. Don't remember the number for sure, but thought it was around 1500.
    NRA Benefactor

That right there is beautiful.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Finally bought a SS DW V-Bob and love it.
    Everyone should own at least one 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Finally bought a SS DW V-Bob and love it.
    Everyone should own at least one 1911
    I bought the previous version, called the Dan Wesson "Classic Commander Bobtail" in 2010, and had many problems with Remington ammo. After trying a number of fixes, a gunsmith reamed the chamber and the problems ended. Then I learned that the factory had become aware that their chambers were slightly too small for Remington rounds. I have no idea whether the problem still exists, but I wanted to alert you.
    The bobtail setup is a compromise, like so many carry gun designs. It is more concealable and maybe more comfortable, but I found I have more of my hand on the backstrap with a normal grip that does not curve forward away from the bottom of my strong hand.
    I like DWs and have an ECO, their Officer size with an aluminum frame in 9mm, and it is a winner. Also, DW service is excellent in my experience. Good luck with yours.
    Last edited by finpro; 07-30-2017 at 05:28 PM.

I carry the CBob every day almost without exception. I love that gun.

I think everyone should own at least 10 myself. Finest firearm design ever designed.

John Moses Browning is my hero.

Edit to add, I just added # 8, I better pick up the pace to hit that magic 10 mark. I gave my Marine one of my Para's, dropped me back from 9.

I'll do a write up shortly on #8, get your popcorn and bon bon's. This is a sweetheart. I'll get some pictures.
    My last day of vacation before it's back to the sweat shop tomorrow, after 2 weeks off I think retirement is an awesome thing.

Little teaser, Magnum Research 1911........................................stainl ess.............................britches out in front.
    Last edited by Bawanna; 07-30-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    I bought the previous version, called the Dan Wesson "Classic Commander Bobtail" in 2010, and had many problems with Remington ammo. After trying a number of fixes, a gunsmith reamed the chamber and the problems ended. Then I learned that the factory had become aware that their chambers were slightly too small for Remington rounds. I have no idea whether the problem still exists, but I wanted to alert you.
    The bobtail setup is a compromise, like so many carry gun designs. It is more concealable and maybe more comfortable, but I found I have more of my hand on the backstrap with a normal grip that does not curve forward away from the bottom of my strong hand.
    I like DWs and have an ECO, their Officer size with an aluminum frame in 9mm, and it is a winner. Also, DW service is excellent in my experience. Good luck with yours.
    NIB ran 500 FMJs followed by 200 Federal HSTs.
    Gun ran flawless.
    Don't think I've tried Remington?
    Mostly shoot Federal, Winchester and Speer.

Pretty officer there MrToad! The wood grips look rich. I am an officer sized 1911 fan big time. I've been very lucky with all for the most part. I've prob averaged only 300-1k rounds out of each though, so I can not speak of prolonged useage/recoil assembly replacement. I did however replace a few recoils when new, just because of advice from many on certain makes/models. Kimber is usually the go to recoils. I currently have a Defender 9mm and an IJ Thrasher .45. I love them all though!