Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Bought a Kahr CW 45 yesterday.

Default Bought a Kahr CW 45 yesterday.

I recently found myself with a bunch of 45 acp ammo, brass, bullets, dies and such, and no 45 to use it in. Well, we can't have that, so I went looking and found a rather nice CW 45 for less than $300.00. I figured it would do. I liked the size of the gun and the way it felt, just holding it in my hand at the LGS.

But when I got it home, I found a couple of problems with it. Nothing that can't be corrected I'm sure. The big one is the cheese grater grip. I didn't notice it just holding it, but when I started to work the slide, I started to feel that thing. Not just the grip, but the slide serrations too.

Ok. I've ordered a Hogue slip on grip for the cheese grater. That should take care of the grip. The slide serreations are another matter. I'll have to see about those. They hurt.

Next, it seems picky about ammo. The only thing I've tried it are some dummy rounds I keep around (reloaded cartridges with no powder or primer). They've fed through every 45 I've tried them in with no problems, but not this one. I assume it has a tight chamber? Actually they feed in just fine. It's getting them out that the problem. At first I thought the gun was broken or something, until I figured out the cartridge was simply hung up in the chamber.

I field stripped the gun and noticed that the cartridges didn't just drop into the barrel, but seemed to "stick." I'm guessing the crimp I've been using isn't tight enough for a tight chamber, so I've ordered a factory crimping die to add to my set.

So that's my long, somewhat boring I'm sure introduction to this forum. I'm looking forward to getting this thing to the range to see if it actually shoots.

Welcome to the forum CajunBass!

Looks like you're doing well figuring out Kahrs. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised when you shoot it.

Yup, all this - and you got the coolest looking cheese grater money can buy. Life is good!

Hope you find ammo that runs well - Kahrs can be finicky, and the factory magazines can suck. Although my two standard mags function fine, I bought a MecGar officer's with the flush fit steel base plate for more compactness. Had to Dremel the feed lips slightly to fit properly, but it runs great. Some owners like to polish the feed ramps more.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Caj,
    I did the same thing with the grip.. Put a couple hundred rounds through that rascal and it will purr like kitten.