Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: CW380 Guide Rod--AGAIN!!

Yes, it's a Bell brand tube. Their tubes have a small ribbed section that works really well as a grip.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

That is exactly what I intend to do. With the year I've had with Taurus, Ruger, and Kahr, I've developed a deep appreciation for micro-pistols that just plain function.

I guess, being the owner of both an RM380 and Pico that operate without a hitch, I should've just quit when I was ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

In the meantime take your RM380 out and enjoy it.

Dave

Sorry to hear tthat one hasn't worked out for you, bosco.

After reading the many complaints about the CW/P/380, I bought the somewhat larger CT380 and have had no functional problems so far.

Also have two LCP Rugers (one unfired NIB) and a brand new RM380, also unfired since the factory. Gotta get those two new ones out to the family land to shoot. The RM380 is as big as my old PM9, but hopefully will be a soft shooter. It feels good in my hand. Haven't read very many complaints about that model. I'll have $172 in it after the rebate comes in next month. Hard to beat that bargain.

Dave, what holster is that yours is ridin' in? I'm looking around for something like it.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

High Noon makes a regular and tuckable like Bosco's. I have the tuckable for my MK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there a consensus here that the CT380 is inherently more reliable than the CW380? Is it just a matter of the tighter tolerances required to squeeze the pistol down to an even tinier size?

Default CW380 Guide Rod--AGAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post

Dave, what holster is that yours is ridin' in? I'm looking around for something like it.
    It's from High Noon Holsters. The "Upper Cut" model.
    Last edited by DavidR; 08-16-2017 at 05:08 AM.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I guess, being the owner of both an RM380 and Pico that operate without a hitch, I should've just quit when I was ahead.
    Bosco, if that's how you feel, maybe you should have. What are you gonna do if your CW380 works 100% now? Are you always gonna fear that the striker is gonna break? You apparently don't worry about that occurring with your Pico even though you hear about that happening much more than with Kahr 380s.

Everyone has to deal with their own comfort level when it comes to firearms. Personally, I'd rather have something that's comfortable to shoot AND reliable. Both of my CW380s have been that for me. Since I wound up with a rather large stash of Perfecta 380 ammo, I decided to finally do something to my CW380s so I could use that ammo in them. I did Tigman's fix to the extractor, since Kahr had already ground off the corner of the extractor claw from the factory.

My CW380s now eat everything 100% - Perfecta included. I can slingshot the first round in every time as well. Both are operating 100%, and both have enough rounds to meet the recommended break in count.

Don't get me wrong - I like my Pico, but I LOVE my CW380s. The trigger pull on the CW380 is exactly half the weight of the Pico, and it's just more comfortable to shoot at the range. The Pico serves it's purpose very well, but the Kahr just does everything better.

The Remington RM380 does look nice. I've handled one, but not shot one. It's almost the same size as a Kahr micro 9mm, so it really doesn't appeal to me. They also have a listed 10 lb trigger pull. No thanks - my CW380 is 4lb 2oz.

Good luck Brother - I wish you all the best in your decision. Six months from now, I hope your CW380 will have earned your trust and loyalty.

Is there a consensus here that the CT380 is inherently more reliable than the CW380? Is it just a matter of the tighter tolerances required to squeeze the pistol down to an even tinier size?
    I'm not sure - seems there are very few of us CT380 owners around. Maybe that's why there has been a price drop at some dealers down to $220. Mine runs most everything great as long as it doesn't sniff any WWB.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

So I just picked up my CW380 from my LGS. My worst fears were confirmed when I read the repair slip: ...Replaced the striker, an aftermarket Lakeline product. Replaced the striker spacer.

So I lost about $50 in aftermarket upgrades. My call to Kahr service also confirmed that they destroy whatever pieces they replace.
    So they removed a superior aftermarket part and replaced it with one of their inferior ones. Nice. You'd hope that at least they'd send that Lakeline striker of yours that they confiscated over to their engineering department and say "hey guys, maybe we should start making them more like this..." but you can bet they didn't. Instead they threw it away and continue to claim that there's nothing wrong with the OEM one they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Bosco, if that's how you feel, maybe you should have. What are you gonna do if your CW380 works 100% now? Are you always gonna fear that the striker is gonna break? You apparently don't worry about that occurring with your Pico even though you hear about that happening much more than with Kahr 380s.
    Yeah, that'll pretty much always be on the back of my mind. Either that or I see if it's shooting okay, and then bite the bullet and purchase ANOTHER Lakeline striker?

As to the Pico, I have a Gen III, and if you look over at the Beretta owner's forum, the latest one out seem to be pretty good right out of the box. It looks like Beretta listened to complaints and fixed a lot of what was wrong. I've heard nothing of striker issues of late.

Everyone has to deal with their own comfort level when it comes to firearms. Personally, I'd rather have something that's comfortable to shoot AND reliable. Both of my CW380s have been that for me. Since I wound up with a rather large stash of Perfecta 380 ammo, I decided to finally do something to my CW380s so I could use that ammo in them. I did Tigman's fix to the extractor, since Kahr had already ground off the corner of the extractor claw from the factory.

My CW380s now eat everything 100% - Perfecta included. I can slingshot the first round in every time as well. Both are operating 100%, and both have enough rounds to meet the recommended break in count.
    What're you trying to do, make me jealous??

Don't get me wrong - I like my Pico, but I LOVE my CW380s. The trigger pull on the CW380 is exactly half the weight of the Pico, and it's just more comfortable to shoot at the range. The Pico serves it's purpose very well, but the Kahr just does everything better.
    I agree to a point. I like my Pico more and more, and the trigger has gotten easier with lots of firing and dry-firing (with snap caps!). You don't have to sell me on the Kahr…I immediately regretted selling my first one, and just had to scratch that itch and get a second. But here's what I've spent so far:

Purchase: $250
    Night Sights: $100
    Aftermarket: $50
    Xtra Mag: $30
    Magguts: $40
    Foxx Holster $50
    TOTAL: $520 !!!!!

So over five hundred dollars, lots of aggravation, lots of time, a trip back to the factory, range ammo, etc etc etc. At what point does one just cut their losses and move on? (And who knows how much I could sell it for…regardless, it will be at a loss.)

The Remington RM380 does look nice. I've handled one, but not shot one. It's almost the same size as a Kahr micro 9mm, so it really doesn't appeal to me. They also have a listed 10 lb trigger pull. No thanks - my CW380 is 4lb 2oz.
    The Remington is only an ounce heavier than the CW380, and only a fraction of an inch bigger in every dimension. I, too, have a PM9, and it is both bigger and significantly heavier than the RM380.

I've fired and dry-fired mine a lot, and added some Galloway parts for the trigger, and the pull is now significantly lighter and exceptionally smooth. Certainly not as nice as the Kahr, but that's asking a lot. Nor is it upgradable to night sights, which got me looking at the Kahr and Pico in the first place.

Good luck Brother - I wish you all the best in your decision. Six months from now, I hope your CW380 will have earned your trust and loyalty.
    Thanks very much for your well-wishes and all your help. Regardless of what I do, I am very grateful to the people here who have lent their time and support.

I'll keep everyone posted, for sure…..