Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CW380 Guide Rod--AGAIN!!

Well, what do you know…just got a call from my LGS…the CW380 is back from Kahr! No idea what they did to it yet, but the clerk told me the repair was done free-of-charge. Wow…great customer service!

I should be able to pick it up Friday, so by early next week I should have it at the range to see if, after all is said and done, this pistol is a keeper. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    It was at my LGS on 07/21, so probably was shipped to them on 07/22.

Hope they fixed it right for you..
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

So I just picked up my CW380 from my LGS. My worst fears were confirmed when I read the repair slip: They replaced the recoil springs, which I had expected. The replaced the extractor, which was never an issue. Replaced the striker guide, an aftermarket Galloway part. Replaced the striker, an aftermarket Lakeline product. Replaced the striker spacer.

So I lost about $50 in aftermarket upgrades. My call to Kahr service also confirmed that they destroy whatever pieces they replace.

So I'm back to a CW380 that likely will need the Lakeline upgrade in the future to ensure functionality anyway. Perfect.

I think I'm throwing up my hands in the CW380 experiment. As they say, fool me once…..

I think this is Kahr's standard operating procedure and they announce it somewhere. For them, parts are cheap and gunsmith time is expensive, so they are biased in favor of replacing parts that may possibly be involved, even if it is not certain they are. Also, in our litigious world, it would be dangerous for Kahr to appear to endorse non-Kahr parts that might impact functional performance or safety. While I doubt they would remove replacement sights or grips, if possible it is generally better to restore the gun to standard format before returning it for repair. This would apply to any factory repair work on guns and some other products, as well.

Please let us know if the repair works. Fingers crossed...

They can't return the gun to factory specs if they don't make sure it has all factory parts. It is a $50 lesson. Go shoot it again, it should run perfect now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    They can't return the gun to factory specs if they don't make sure it has all factory parts. It is a $50 lesson.
    I understand that, by I don't understand why they wouldn't return the aftermarket parts with the pistol. Those were MY parts.

This is all the more aggravating because we know that the Kahr factory strikers are a frequent point of concern.

Go shoot it again, it should run perfect now.
    I wished I shared your optimism. This is my second CW380 that has basically become a part-time job.

Keep us informed because it's a group project now. We are wanting to see everything resolved and working.

Keep us informed because it's a group project now. We are wanting to see everything resolved and working.
    Much appreciated. You guys have been great.

I'm going to sleep on this one. At this point, my inclination is to put it up for sale and put it in the rear view mirror as a lesson learned.

Unfortunately I think it's commonplace for manufacturers to throw away after-market parts when you send a gun in. I know that both Sig and Ruger warn you ahead of time when they send you shipping instructions.

In the meantime take your RM380 out and enjoy it.

Dave
    Last edited by DavidR; 08-15-2017 at 06:22 PM.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

That is what I do. I have about 300 rounds through mine and am still waiting for a malfunction or misfire.

Is that a bicycle tube rubber on the grip?