Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: New here, what should I look for when buying a used K9?

Default New here, what should I look for when buying a used K9?

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and have some question. I'm looking to by a Kahr K9 I have never bought a used pistol and not sure what to look for, I see a few on gunbroker and insterested in buying one. I have a Glock 19 what I would like to sell too to finance the K9, i'm in CT so I am restricted to 10 round Mag and also feel the 19 is not for me. I know its a great gun but it just not for me. What are some questions I should be asking before buying one online? any info would be great. Thanks for your help in advance!

The K9 is a pretty solid pistol, but buying used, online is a crap shoot for any firearm.

So generally, a reputable seller and detailed photos would be what I look for.

As to an reputable seller: Read their feedback, check to see if they have a website, and search their user name on the web. Ask them directly if there are any issues.

Photos: Ask for as many detailed ones as possible. You want to see the inside of slide, the breech face (ask for one with the striker projecting), the extractor, the sights, the muzzle end, the rear of the slide, the barrel, the barrel's bore, the barrel's locking lug, the frame rails, the ejector, etc.

Look at the overall condition of the pistol. Avoid those that show a lot of wear and tear. Make sure the grips are serviceable.
    Look for rust or the remains of it (pitting/discoloration)
    Look for damage such as peening (especially where the barrel engages the slide and on the locking lug...also on the ejector), chipped extractor, cracks between the barrel hole and the guide rod hole on the slide, cracked frame rails, cracks near the slide stop holes, deformed slide stop pins, etc.
    Look for excessive wear to internal surfaces.

K9 specific: While problems are rare with them, check where the barrel hood and the slide meet for any evidence of peening. Check for any cracks at the muzzle end of the side. Check for any cracks on the frame in the area of the magazine well.

Some early production K9's (carbon steel, non stepped sides) have a trigger bar and trigger bar spring that is different from what is currently used. Replacement parts may not be available. The current spring can be modified to work with the old trigger bar or the frame can be converted to work with the current bar and spring.

Again, it's a crap shoot.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>