Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Any real world difference in the PM9 & the CM9 ??

Default Any real world difference in the PM9 & the CM9 ??

My wife and I bought PM9s before the CM9s came out. Other than the fact PMs have polygonal barrels and came with 2 mags vs 1 mag for the C series, I don't see much other than cosmetic differences. We also have 2 P380s.

Is there anyone who has both the P series and the C series? Would you now pay the difference between the P & C ??

I did for a MK9.

I don't have both in 9mm, but I do have a pm45 and a cm9. the pm45 took a little breaking in to be 100%, for what its worth, the cm9 was 100% from the first mag. I can't say there is a lot of difference to me, and if the cm had been available in 45 when I bought mine, probably would have went with it.
    Barry

There are other differences between the P and C series. C's differ in the slide stop, MIM parts in the trigger system, cheaper markings on the slide and of course the pinned plastic sights instead of a nice dovetail up front.

Some folks won't take any MIM parts, I like the P slide way better and I guess you could change the slide stop for the P's (ummm, right Greg??).

I'd pay the extra today, but then I have gotten several pay raises and my kids have moved out since I bought the CW40 a long time ago.

It's all in what matters to you as the are all good shooters.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

I own a couple P models and a C. I see no practical (if that's what you mean by real world) difference. Even the barrels shoot the same in my experience. There are differences of course and they are strictly for personal preference. Some do not like MIM parts. Some plan to change out the sights and prefer the dovetails. I like the way the old blunt nose P models look so I have two of those. It's just my preference.

As for Barry's break in experiences: they mirror mine. Both of the 45's I've broken in had a few hiccups at first. I think the caliber was the factor vs. the model differences. I suspect 45's and 380's require more break in than the others. Most of what I have read on this forum tends to confirm that.
    ​O|||||||O

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I purchased the CM45 simply because it has a regular barrel and can shoot lead. By doing so, I saved a lot of green to buy more ammo with! My CM45 shoots flawlessly and is very accurate with both jacketed and lead bullets.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

IMHO, the P models have better fitment and finish. The C's seem to have sharper edges and the fitment may not be as tight. I think the PM's see a little more attention at the factory. It seems like more issues pop up with the C's too. All this is just my impression. If I were going to buy another today, I would buy the PM again.

Supposedly the octagonal barrel has less blow buy, so you get a marginal velocity increase. Probably don't make a difference in the real world.

Like another poster stated, I'm in a better place money wise and can afford the premium.
    NRA Benefactor

I have a PM9 and a CM9. My PM9 is the old style with the blunt nose. Neither gun has ever malfunctioned at all from round one.

The only real world advantage for me is that I can buy the recoil spring kit alone from Wolff for my older PM9. Just got done opening a package from Wolff - I paid $8.99 per spring kit, and $3.99 shipping. The kit includes an inner recoil spring, an outer recoil spring, and a striker spring. Beats spending $35 (incl. shipping) on a whole assembly from Kahr!

I've said this before, and I still believe it - there's MIM parts in ALL Kahrs, despite the kool-aid they're trying to feed us. There is no way the striker, and slide stop are 100% machined parts. Looks to me like only the post is machined on the PM slide stop. They have mold marks, if you look closely enough. And they also cost the same. Hmmmm.....

Same with the mag catch, the mag catch lock pin on the MK/K series, the slide back plate, and maybe more. Machining all those tiny parts would be crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Planedude View Post
    There are other differences between the P and C series. C's differ in the slide stop, MIM parts in the trigger system, cheaper markings on the slide and of course the pinned plastic sights instead of a nice dovetail up front.

Some folks won't take any MIM parts, I like the P slide way better and I guess you could change the slide stop for the P's (ummm, right Greg??).

I'd pay the extra today, but then I have gotten several pay raises and my kids have moved out since I bought the CW40 a long time ago.

It's all in what matters to you as the are all good shooters.
    That has been my experience
    I don't think there is much (if any) functional difference between the two styles; I just like the look of P series stop.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>