CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K9 going back to Kahr - the rust bucket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default K9 going back to Kahr - the rust bucket

After tending to my initial rust issues I thought I had solved the problem. Not so much. Slide serrations are all rusted. There is significant rust all over the slide and on the grip. Called my FFL and he is going to handle it for me. He said to bring it back to him and he'll have it taken care of.

I have always wiped any gun stainless or other finish off with a silicone or oily cloth after carrying, handling & after shooting I wipe it off with a damp paper towel to get the carbon off before reholstering then I clean them when I get home. I'm not saying that your k9 doesn't have bad metal if that's the correct wording but I'm OCD about keeping my guns clean & no rust has ever developed.

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    I have always wiped any gun stainless or other finish off with a silicone or oily cloth after carrying, handling & after shooting I wipe it off with a damp paper towel to get the carbon off before reholstering then I clean them when I get home. I'm not saying that your k9 doesn't have bad metal if that's the correct wording but I'm OCD about keeping my guns clean & no rust has ever developed.
    Well, nothing wrong with that. I am the same way!

I always spray my firearms down with oil after handling. This one still rusts out despite my restoration efforts. My FFL is sending it out for me tomorrow and will call Kahr. He said they are great to work with. He is a great guy and assured me that it will be taken care of. So I feel good about that.

It'll be interesting to see. Most oils are hygroscopic (absorb moisture) but some more than others. Not sure where you live and how humid it is there, nor what sort of oil you're spraying on but those might both be factors.

You take care like that & it still rusts? That would drive me crazy. I hope the end result is positive for you.

I spray everything down with a can of Remoil then wipe with a cloth. Yes, we have some humidity here but none of my other SS handguns are rusting like this after a trip to the range.

Wow, that's disturbing. I've never had that happen so fast. I admit, I'm not that diligent about wiping down my carry pieces every day - just wipe them down once a week or so, or before putting them in the safe for storage.

I'm still using Froglube on all my automatics, and it does a great job on protecting the finish. Tests I've seen performed on the web shows it to be one of, if not the best at protecting against rust.

My personal experience has shown this to work well - for me anyways...

Good luck on the outcome of this!

I have never carried this pistol except at the range maybe 5 or 6 times. My FFL asked me if I carry it tight to my body. Nope. I'm keeping a positive view. I am sure it will be fine after a trip back to the factory. Regarding oil, I have never tried Frog Lube. But I have too much already to be honest. Remoil, Hoppes, Break Free, Gunzilla, Gun Butter, LSA. I think so far I like Gunzilla and Gun Butter the best.

Kahr has returned my K9 to my FFL and I will pick it up tomorrow. They refinished it and said that whatever product I used on it had to be blasted off. They mean Renaissance Wax. Every gun site I visited recommended Ren Wax as a last line of defence against corrosion, and being a mineral based wax can be stripped with mineral spirits or even hot soapy water or alcohol from what I have been told. I don't think the wax was the problem at all. It was rusting even worse before the application of wax. So I will call the Kahr rep he was in contact with for more information. Hope this is the last of my issues.