Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck knife part 2

Default Neck knife part 2

I have 2 choices ....one is a bit large for a neck knife but what the heck. What do you guys prefer and why?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Living Man

Thank B4uqzme for the tech tip!
    I am the Living Man

The bigger gray knife is a Swedish made knife that cost around $18. I cut down the sheath and lost some retention so I wedged a magnet in the plastic sheath and it works very well. I added an adjustable Paracord loop and its ready to go. The Gerber is purpose built. $40ish and works well also. The big knife feels better in the hand of course but weighs 139 grams vs 76 grams for the Gerber(both with sheath and cords attached. Blade lengths are 3 and 4 inches respectively. I will be in hot humid conditions FWIW. The bigger knife has a rubberized grip that is very secure in the hand--but it is on the big side for a neck knife IMHO.

Any input from the forum is welcomed.
    I am the Living Man

buying a blade where I am going is not an option after further research.
    I am the Living Man

For a neck knife I'd go with the Gerber. The Mora is a great knife, and certainly been proven the world over, but I would be worried about the size as a neckker. Mora does make a smaller neck knife, I know they sell them at Cabelas in addition to being available thru Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Fixe...ora+neck+knife

Good luck with your adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    For a neck knife I'd go with the Gerber. The Mora is a great knife, and certainly been proven the world over, but I would be worried about the size as a neckker. Mora does make a smaller neck knife, I know they sell them at Cabelas in addition to being available thru Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Fixe...ora+neck+knife

Good luck with your adventure!
    Thanks Ken:

the Mora neck knife has only a 2.2 inch blade. While easier to wear, I don't think it has enough sticking power. Cheap enough though. Tell ya, the more I play with the Mora, the more I think its a great knife for the money.
    I am the Living Man

I am a huge fan of the Scandinavian knife style. The "puukko" is what that Mora in your picture is called, that's the style based on the blade size. Very utilitarian, and if you are diligent with sharpening it using that "ground to zero" angle that is already there, it keeps an edge as sharp as a razor. And the bonus is that you can sharpen it on anything; the whole angle on the side of the blade is the edge guide.

Around the neck, smaller seems better.
    But I just can't warm up to putting anything around my neck that might result in choking.
    I'm all about choking techniques and am very good at it

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I am a huge fan of the Scandinavian knife style. The "puukko" is what that Mora in your picture is called, that's the style based on the blade size. Very utilitarian, and if you are diligent with sharpening it using that "ground to zero" angle that is already there, it keeps an edge as sharp as a razor. And the bonus is that you can sharpen it on anything; the whole angle on the side of the blade is the edge guide.
    Thank you for the edification on that knife. I like it even more now.
    I am the Living Man

so far I am going with the Puukko. Bigger is better for what I need it for
    I am the Living Man