Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: New to me PM9 w/black diamond coating......... Few questions for PM9 owners.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default New to me PM9 w/black diamond coating......... Few questions for PM9 owners.

    Ok so I picked up a used 'blunt nosed' PM9 from a guy today. Serial # VB13xx. It came in the plastic box with both mags. It has obviously been extremely well cared for. The black coating has no wear at all on it nor does the frame. In fact the the barrel is the only thing that shows wear. It has a little shiny area on the top and bottom but I know the seller said he got it from the original owner who didnt shoot it much. There is no peening on the barrel, no cracks dings or dents anywhere. Internals are clean. Rails and everything are intact. It also has night sights.

    The gent I got it from I know takes really excellent care of his firearms. He put 150 rounds down range without a hiccup and even offered to let me shoot it. No issues at all. I also got a kydex pocket holster and a Mitch Rosen Express IWB holster in the deal.

    So I am familiar with Glock, HK, Sig, XDs, M&P's etc etc. I do have a few questions on the PM9.....

    First...how well does the black coating hold up with normal use? Also I believe this would be considered the 'older' slide so if I order replacement parts off Kahr's website like for a spare recoil assembly & spring or parts kit do I get the one thats marked "old?"

    Overall its a great little pistol and I love the Mitch Rosen holster and how compact and light it is. Love my PM9.




    Can sort of make out the barrel wear here:



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Good move! I have owned one of these since they first came out. I carry it frequently and, insofar as I can tell, there is no wear of the black coating whatsoever. The coating was formerly called "DLC" which stood for "Diamond Like Coating" or something similar. It is very hard and just does not seem to wear. If I were buying a Kahr on which it was available, I would want this on mine to be less visible as well as for the extra slide protection.
    If you go to the Kahr website and look at the replacement sights, there is information on how to identify the old versus new sight dovetails, based on whether there is a dimple on the underside of the slide.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wet & Wild Pacific NW
    Posts
    26,983

    Default

    Looks to be one of the late blunt noses or PM9J (Jocko) as we call them. It looks like it has a screw holding the side cover on as opposed to a pin on the earlier versions. I'm sure it doesn't make a lot of difference one way or the other, just a means of telling the time period.

    Great gun, you done well.
    http://bawanna45.wix.com/bawannas-grip-emporium#!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

    RIP Muggsy & TMan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Looks to be one of the late blunt noses or PM9J (Jocko) as we call them. It looks like it has a screw holding the side cover on as opposed to a pin on the earlier versions. I'm sure it doesn't make a lot of difference one way or the other, just a means of telling the time period.

    Great gun, you done well.
    Yes it does on side cover. I just noticed that. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    Good move! I have owned one of these since they first came out. I carry it frequently and, insofar as I can tell, there is no wear of the black coating whatsoever. The coating was formerly called "DLC" which stood for "Diamond Like Coating" or something similar. It is very hard and just does not seem to wear. If I were buying a Kahr on which it was available, I would want this on mine to be less visible as well as for the extra slide protection.
    If you go to the Kahr website and look at the replacement sights, there is information on how to identify the old versus new sight dovetails, based on whether there is a dimple on the underside of the slide.
    No dimple in the rear so looks like an old slide. Plus I looked at the pic and could tell it's the old style.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default



    Not the best pic but there is a small screw there.

    And here is a pic of the sight so you can kind of see the cuts but it's the old style. When these nights die out I might order from Kahr the factory dot sights and put those on.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Voodoo - Looks like you've got the sight thing figured out. My PM9 is also the old style - it's 9 years old. Mine has the dimple on the underside of the slide, so it's the new dovetails.

    Mine is also the DLC finish. The only marks on it are inside the slide where the recoil spring sits. The spring(s) wore off a ring of the black finish, but it's not visible from the outside of the gun. The DLC finish is really tough. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr with that finish, but I won't buy one that is cerakoted. DLC > cerakote for durability.

    Here's some recoil assembly knowledge for you:

    PM9s have 3 types of recoil assemblies.

    Type 1 is the oldest, and has a 13 coil outer spring that is rated at 18 lbs. The flange at the back end of it measures 3/8" in diameter. PM9s that use this type have the blunt nose slide.

    Type 2 is the next oldest and also has a 13 coil spring rated at 18 lbs. The flange on the back end measures 1/2" on this type, and the PM9s that use this type also have the blunt nose slide.

    Type 3 is the newest style, and uses a 15 coil spring. The flange is 1/2" also, and this type is the one used on the current PM9 with the taper at the front of the slide (like the CM9).



    I just ordered a type 2 RSA from Kahr, and it came with a 15 coil spring. It fit, but it was a disaster in operation. The spring was really bound up on the sleeve it mounts on. The guide rod would bind up and not retract fully into the slide when racked. After a good sanding and polishing of the sleeve, it got better, but still would bind up and not fully retract into the slide when racking it. The slide also would not lock back on an empty magazine. I finally cut the spring down to 13 coils, and it works fine now. I fired 100 rounds through it, and it operates like new. My PM9 has 5100 rounds through it, and I replaced just the outer recoil spring at 2500 rounds (just because). My LGS recommended this, and ordered just the outer spring from Wolff Springs.

    Wolff makes the OEM springs for Kahr. I just ordered a couple sets of recoil springs from Wolff recently, as it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new assembly from Kahr. Their spring kit includes an outer recoil spring, an inner recoil spring and a factory power striker spring - all for $8.99 per kit, and $3.99 shipping. You can take the guide rod assembly apart and replace both inner and outer springs, but I don't. I just replaced the outer spring (factory 18 lb), and it's the correct 13 coil spring for the old style slides. I don't think you can buy just the recoil springs or kit from Wolff for the type 3 slide PM9s as far as I can tell.

    https://www.gunsprings.com/KAHR%20AR...1/mID29/dID340
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Voodoo - Looks like you've got the sight thing figured out. My PM9 is also the old style - it's 9 years old. Mine has the dimple on the underside of the slide, so it's the new dovetails.

    Mine is also the DLC finish. The only marks on it are inside the slide where the recoil spring sits. The spring(s) wore off a ring of the black finish, but it's not visible from the outside of the gun. The DLC finish is really tough. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr with that finish, but I won't buy one that is cerakoted. DLC > cerakote for durability.

    Here's some recoil assembly knowledge for you:

    PM9s have 3 types of recoil assemblies.

    Type 1 is the oldest, and has a 13 coil outer spring that is rated at 18 lbs. The flange at the back end of it measures 3/8" in diameter. PM9s that use this type have the blunt nose slide.

    Type 2 is the next oldest and also has a 13 coil spring rated at 18 lbs. The flange on the back end measures 1/2" on this type, and the PM9s that use this type also have the blunt nose slide.

    Type 3 is the newest style, and uses a 15 coil spring. The flange is 1/2" also, and this type is the one used on the current PM9 with the taper at the front of the slide (like the CM9).



    I just ordered a type 2 RSA from Kahr, and it came with a 15 coil spring. It fit, but it was a disaster in operation. The spring was really bound up on the sleeve it mounts on. The guide rod would bind up and not retract fully into the slide when racked. After a good sanding and polishing of the sleeve, it got better, but still would bind up and not fully retract into the slide when racking it. The slide also would not lock back on an empty magazine. I finally cut the spring down to 13 coils, and it works fine now. I fired 100 rounds through it, and it operates like new. My PM9 has 5100 rounds through it, and I replaced just the outer recoil spring at 2500 rounds (just because). My LGS recommended this, and ordered just the outer spring from Wolff Springs.

    Wolff makes the OEM springs for Kahr. I just ordered a couple sets of recoil springs from Wolff recently, as it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new assembly from Kahr. Their spring kit includes an outer recoil spring, an inner recoil spring and a factory power striker spring - all for $8.99 per kit, and $3.99 shipping. You can take the guide rod assembly apart and replace both inner and outer springs, but I don't. I just replaced the outer spring (factory 18 lb), and it's the correct 13 coil spring for the old style slides. I don't think you can buy just the recoil springs or kit from Wolff for the type 3 slide PM9s as far as I can tell.

    https://www.gunsprings.com/KAHR%20AR...1/mID29/dID340
    Great info. I'll double check my RSA when I get home but I THINK it's the Type 2. I'll post a pic when I get in later because now I am curious.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Also from Wolff would I order part 52818 - 18lbs recoil spring? That fits either Type 1 or 2 yes?

    Folks I am grateful for all the input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Yes - #52818 is what you need for a type 1 or type 2.

    You were very fortunate to find that PM9.

    One of our members has over 30,000 rounds out of his so far, and it's still going strong.

    Enjoy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop