Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Parkerized WWII 1911s - no more

Default Parkerized WWII 1911s - no more

I received the following reply from Kahr/Auto Ordnance about why the Parkerized 1911s are no longer shown on their website:

Thank you for your question!
    Unfortunately, we are no longer producing the PKZSE models for the 1911's.
    They are being replaced by the BKO models.

As enthusiasts know, the GI models were blued prior to 1940, then Parkerized during WWII production, returning to blued after. The BKO models from Auto Ordnance, which have outstanding reviews and seem to be great guns, have a "black oxide" finish.

That's sad that they quit making that model. Might come back some day since it's mostly just the finish. Maybe there's some out there that will show up on the auction sites etc. Might get lucky. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

In the mean time we can keep our fingers crossed that now with a real pres CMP will cut loose with some of them GI Colts.

Hope you find something to hold you over until that happens. I got a 42 1911 Colt that I cherish, not parting with that one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That's sad that they quit making that model. Might come back some day since it's mostly just the finish. Maybe there's some out there that will show up on the auction sites etc. Might get lucky. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

In the mean time we can keep our fingers crossed that now with a real pres CMP will cut loose with some of them GI Colts.

Hope you find something to hold you over until that happens. I got a 42 1911 Colt that I cherish, not parting with that one.
    There are a few on Gun Broker right now.
    Pakerizing is certainly within the scope of DIY if a person was so inclined....maybe buy a BKO then somewhere down the line refinish it.

I also think I would want a current production gun as it appears they have changed the front strap radius to mimic Colt's (which I like).

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

They returned my phone call too (Thanks, Bawanna!) and the guy said the Parkerized ones could come back, just that they aren't doing them presently.

A problem that I was noticing with the PKZSE models was that the frame and slide were often a slightly different color. At least with the BKO models the finish usually matches. If it matters much, in early 1943 the various contractors (Remington Rand, Ithaca, and Union Switch & Signal) used a Du-Lite blue finish instead of Parkerizing, which essentially was a matte blue (aka black oxide) finish.

That color difference kinda makes it look more authentic, to me.

There were a few on Gunbroker. I bid on one, was the only bidder, and am mailing my check out today.

Sweet!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

It's supposed to arrive Thursday. I've never had to wait so long for an online auction, it's almost like they wanted me to forget I'd ordered it so I'll be surprised like a kid on Christmas morning when it finally arrives. Gotta make sure I have lots of ammo ready!