Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Kahr on used firearm repair

Default Kahr on used firearm repair

Having bought a CW 380 and liking it so much, I am thinking about maybe buying a 9mm Kahr. My expendable cash for firearms has taken a hit this year.... so I might look for a used one. I know there is no lifetime warranty on these Kahr firearms, so how is Kahr on CS, repair charges and shipping on a used Kahr should it need servicing?

not sure, youd think it wouldnt matter.. but regardless if you find a used one that has several mags with it is a good sign its a runner and shouldnt have any issues... guns are easy to work on and replace parts yourself, or you could have a gunsmith do repair if its out of your realm... only time id send a gun in if it was a catastrophic failure...
    RIP Muggsy

I found out.... Q. What is the cost of my non-warranty service?

A. Non-warranty service will be billed at $65/hour + cost of parts + $25 shipping and handling. There is a minimum $60 charge + shipping and handling.

That looks like pretty customary shop rates and a "good" gunsmith would probably be similar.

I have experienced and heard of occasions where they just did a fix and returned the gun no charge regardless of warranty.

There's plenty of help here if needed and they are relatively simple if something is needed.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, luckily no repairs needed on any of my four Kahr purchases so far, as I'm pretty simple myself.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I just know I would mess up the side plate fasteners.....and yes I have the correct tool. Those are the only reason I have not taken off the plate to polish the trigger bar.

I have bought two used Kahr's so far. PM9 from a member here a few years back, LEO that decided he wanted to go all Glock for mag compatibility. Came with 4 mags and un-installed night sights. Never had any issues, runs like a champ.
    Bought a used K9 from a local pawn shop, looks like it had been fired one or two boxes of ammo, almost no wear marks. Still running strong.
    I have bought many used firearms from this local pawn shop, they sell new stuff too, they will dicker a little, and they give a 7 day return policy, no questions asked on used guns. I bought a used glock 41 from them that spit out the mags every round, had to take that one back. You buy a used gun, you have one week to try it out and see if there are problems.

Maybe you can find a local used dealer with some type of return policy.
    NRA Benefactor

One good thing about Kahr is that they make all parts (except the frame) available to end users and owners through their website. So, you can replace any worn or damaged part in your used gun with a factory new part.

Some people don't understand the break-in period for Kahrs. My PM 9 did not get to be a reliable shooter until I had 3-400 rounds through it. Now it runs like the preverbial Swiss Watch. If you find a used one with a low round count, the seller might not be aware and want to "dump" his/her gun off. My wife has one of these types, a PM 9 safe queen (the gun, not my wife) but she won't sell it and I'm happy to have the extra mags to use.

I'd say of all my guns, the Kahrs can have the most unusual maintenance procedures, like not getting overly zealous lubing the striker channel.

My only complaint with my older one is the nubbies on the grip. They got obnoxious after 150-200 rounds continous shooting. I had to smooth the rough edges off with my Dremel.

Well my "break in" period is standing at around 700 rounds. Operation during the actual shooting phase is perfect.....the ability to manually rack and cycle ammo into the chamber and eject it ....let's just say it's now down to requiring a carnival strongman, a boy scout troop and a Silverback gorilla. The necessity of Seal Team 2 and contestants from the Worlds Strongest Man competition are no longer required.