Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need OAL help using Berrys Bullets in CW380 and load data.

Default Need OAL help using Berrys Bullets in CW380 and load data.

I am using Winchester 231 powder and I have Berrys hollow based 100 grain plated bullets. My load is 3 grains of 231 with OAL of .977.

There were failures to chamber and I had to hit the slide in rear to chamber some of the rounds.

I reduced the OAL to .970 and it got better but I still had to tap the slide.

How far can I reduce the OAL and still be on the safe side? I know I may have to reduce my power charge.

I did a plunk test with the barrel and the cartridge is level with the hood.

Thanks
    Last edited by drw; 08-13-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: mistake

Were you still getting failures to chamber even after the plunk test?

I don't know much about reloading 380, never done it, but loaded for most other stuff at one time or another.
    With 3 grains I wouldn't think the case space being too little would be an issue.

When I do the plunk test, I take my finger and try to press the cartridge into the chamber hard as I can. Then invert the barrel and see if it falls out freely. This tells me if the bullet is touching the lands.

I'd have to break out the book to see where 3 grains of 231 sits on the menu. That of course won't effect chambering but if it's close to max the case space might be slightly more critical, but I still doubt it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Shouldn't be having those problems with that OAL, are you crimping your round?
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

drw,
    What make brass are you using?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

My Hornady manual shows a max C.O.L. of .980.
    Max charge with HP38/231 of 3.3 grains.
    The hollow base of those Berry's should be no problem with your 3gr charge at .970.
    Max case rim thickness = .045. Pay special attention to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    drw,
    I know where you're going with this, and I agree.

Fiocchi/Perfecta brass exhibits this kind of behavior in a lot of Kahr 380s. Case rim is too thick to easily fit under the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Shouldn't be having those problems with that OAL, are you crimping your round?
    Yes, I am crimping with the Dillon dies. I did take a Lee factory crimp die and crimp some of the bullets with the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    drw,
    Once fired range brass sorting the Fiocchi out.

I readjusted the seating depth to .965 and the cartridges fed perfect with no problems. I also used the advice of Ed and checked the rim diameter.

The plunk test has the base slightly below the hood. It was level with the hood before.

Thanks to all of you guys for the help.

Just for those who don't know:

Your COL (Cartridge Overall Length) is determined by;
    your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions)
    and
    your gun (feed ramp)
    and
    your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding)
    and
    the PARTICULAR bullet you are using.

Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel and lock the die body down temporarily).
    Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood (or a few mils higher than where the head of an empty case aligns with the barrel, as all cases are too short and I prefer to minimize head space). After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.
    You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop this round in the barrel and rotate it back-and-forth.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) Scratches on bullet--COL is too long
    2) Scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) Scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) Scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) Scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

^^^^^good information^^^^^^^