Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: CW9 Slide out of spec?

Default CW9 Slide out of spec?

Hey guys,

Having a real issue with my new CW9 and need some help!

I went and picked up my burnt bronze CW9 yesterday. Brought it home and was detail stripping today it to get all the shipping goop off of it. All was going well until I went to remove the rear slide cover plate. I routinely detail strip the slide of every gun after I shoot it so I know how to remove the plate correctly and do it frequently with my MK9 and my dads CW9. Both of which come off and are replaced with ease.

That slide cover was on so tight on my new CW9 that it took PB blaster, a jewelers screwdriver and a hammer to pry it off. Marring it terribly in the process. I initially chocked it up to possibly the cerakote adding extra diameter to the metal but after multiple attempts at reassembly without the springs in it, it seriously would not go on without hammering it back into place. I don't even know how they got it assembled at the factory. I can't emphasize enough how hard it was to replace the plate even without the springs in it. I then tried to put the slide cover plate from my Dads CW9 and my MK9 and they all catch at the same place and wont go in without using the strength of 10 men.

I really don't want to send my gun back to Kahr, and they will probably take one look at this ridiculous looking rear slide cover plate and think I'm some kinda lunatic. It looks like it went 10 rounds with Tyson.

What the hell is going on?!?!?!

I had the same problem with my PM9. I bought a couple of Galloway upgrades and tried to install them, but I simply could not remove the plate. I finally gave up, and those parts remain uninstalled in my Kahr's plastic case.

BTW, I had no such issues removing the slide plate cover on my CW380, so it isn't Kahr thing per se.

Mine have all been very tight and difficult to remove especially the first time. As you note a jewelers screw driver I assume you found out the hole to depress the extractor channel is deceiving and much smaller than it looks like. That usually is 90% of the battle.

Short of sending it back I'm not sure what else you can do to address the issue. If in fact it's out of spec they will replace, if not at least they might replace the plate although it might take time to get another in the burnt bronze finish. Can't really say.

At least you might send a photo and explain your issues and see what options they provide.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the fast replies. The part that is really bothering me is i figured if it was an issue with the plate then the plates from the other two "should" fit without issue... but they have the same problem....

update: I emailed Kahr last night but still haven't heard back from them. The upside is that I fixed the problem!!!

So upon closer inspection there was an issue with the slide itself. One of the rails that the plate slides in was out of spec. There was a metal burr in the rail that was stopping the slide plate from freely going back on. I used the edge of some 400 grit sandpaper and smoothed the rail out and now the plate goes on just like it does on my other Kahr's.

Downside is that my slide plate still looks like it got chewed on by a pitbull.

upside is I ordered a custom slide cover plate from https://www.ndzperformance.com/

Also ordered the stainless steel guide rod from Alfonse! @ https://lakelinellc.com/

WOOP!

Happy ending!

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.